Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Active Duty to Air Guard?

1. Senior Member

Help Active Duty to Air Guard?

Advertisements
    So ladies we're looking at the Air Guard in about a year which means we may move back home. I'm so excited and I can't wait! I'm ready to be close to my family again!!! My mom said when we talked about it on the phone my dad perked up and got really happy, and I know my sister wants me back there. I miss them and my nieces and nephews. It would be so great! We're looking at starting a family in about a year and we'd be close to my family so that'd help. We've been talking about it for a while now. Only question is how are the benefits with the guard? I know it's one weekend a month. He's also talked about doing certain jobs. We'd appreciate prayers! I'm just not sure how the benefits work with the guard and the technical details with that....
  2. Banned
    Banned
    you can purchase tricare for about 200 a month for the family plan, the member gets paid for when they drill only, no BAH and no BAS.
    when they drill for 2 weeks a year they get paid for the full 2 weeks and get prorated BAH and prorated BAS.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can purchase tricare for about 200 a month for the family plan, the member gets paid for when they drill only, no BAH and no BAS.
    when they drill for 2 weeks a year they get paid for the full 2 weeks and get prorated BAH and prorated BAS.
    Do you know about co pays and such?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    tricare reserve select is tricare standard- for the best info go to the tricare website- co- pays vary based on service and provider
  5. Regular Member
    Make sure you have reasonable expectations for ANG. There a lots of options but if you are traditional reserve ANG your minimum commitment is 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, however the commitment is usually more than that. For example, this year my DH's UTA was during their AT, so he had to do 2 one month to make up one that he missed. His unit is deploying and he will miss 4 more while he is gone so he will also have to make those up to. In his case, this may mean he will drill 4 of 5 weeks to get his 12 in before the end of the year.

So for my family this year he will be gone 20 weeks and then drill an additional 12 weekends so for us this year it meant 32 of 52 weekends. This is not always the case but it can be.

Many ANG units have full time options and also Per Diem options too. But like all things military, they still have you even if you part-time. Another consideration is what he is going to do for a "real" job if he goes traditional reservist route. The companies military leave program makes a huge difference in most cases!!