Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Activated guard/reserve pay

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Activated guard/reserve pay

Advertisements
    DH was AD, so I am not all that familiar with guard/reserve side of things. However, I have been asked by the state director of our program for some information after a recent policy discussion and I want to provide the best input I can.
    If/when someone is activated and deployed, what sort of pay(s) are we looking at? Do they receive base pay that is comparable to that of an AD person of the same rank/time in service (I know the monthly drill pay isn't that much - looking at actual deployment situations here)? Do the families become eligible for/receive housing allowance during these months? If so, is it at the AD rate or are there special rates for these families? Do activated and deployed guard/reserve members receive the same combat pays, family sep, etc?
    I was able to provide some very surprising information to her from an AD standpoint, but want to make sure that state policy is set based on the best information possible for all situations.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    DH was AD, so I am not all that familiar with guard/reserve side of things. However, I have been asked by the state director of our program for some information after a recent policy discussion and I want to provide the best input I can.
    If/when someone is activated and deployed, what sort of pay(s) are we looking at? Do they receive base pay that is comparable to that of an AD person of the same rank/time in service (I know the monthly drill pay isn't that much - looking at actual deployment situations here)? Do the families become eligible for/receive housing allowance during these months? If so, is it at the AD rate or are there special rates for these families? Do activated and deployed guard/reserve members receive the same combat pays, family sep, etc?
    I was able to provide some very surprising information to her from an AD standpoint, but want to make sure that state policy is set based on the best information possible for all situations.
    When DH was activated he was paid and received benefits as if he was full time active duty for his rank.... base pay, BAH, Tricare, combat pay... everything.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    when a member is called for AD - deployment local or foriegn the pay and alloances are exactly the same as "reg AD".
    including BAH, tricare, combat, hazzardous duty pay, seperation pay, ect
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Thank you! There was some very big ASSumptions being made by some in the room and that was leading the policy down the wrong path (imo) so I had to speak up. This information will help greatly!
  5. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    dh was AD, then reserve, then activated. once activated (for deployment) he is considered AD through & through.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Thank you! There was some very big ASSumptions being made by some in the room and that was leading the policy down the wrong path (imo) so I had to speak up. This information will help greatly!
    If it helps at all we also got Tricare for an additional 180 days (pretty sure that is right) once we got back from deployment.
  7. Regular Member
    I think it depends on the civilian job how much the company policy matters but for us, even though DH will be paid the same as the AD guys, it is still about 1/2 what his "real" job pays. He would NOT still be in the reserves if his company did not pay him the difference and also keep our health care active. We are really lucky!!

Yes we can get tricare, but we just met our deductables and if we go to tricare we will have to meet theres as well, then when he returned is civilian insurace would issue a new policy and we would have to pay them all over again. It is all better than being without but, without the extended company coverage we could be out about $3000 for deductables!!
  8. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    When they are active in the guard or reserves they get active pay, BAH, insurance on everyone.

My husband is Guard and while he is in BCT and AIT he is "active" so we get the active base pay, BAH, and insurance
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012