Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: So confused...

1. Senior Member

Nutts So confused...

Advertisements
    So, DF and I are getting married at the court house in TX where he is stationed next month then having a ceremony and reception at home in WV in June.

We want to get the paperwork and everything processed for BAH as soon as possible so we have more money for our rent and travel and everything else.

Before he can get BAH I have to be enrolled in the DEERS program and issued my military ID correct?

What kind of documents will I need for that? Will I need my updated drivers license with my new last name on it? If so can i get a TX one since I'm moving there, or should I get a WV one?

I'm assuming I'll need my new Social Security card with my name change.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so confused. I've read some stuff on here and the Army Spouse guide on the military home front website, but I'm still so lost. I want to make sure I have everything I need and get everything done while I'm in TX.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    unfortunately because the dates are so close- you will not even see the BAH before your "official" wedding. it will take 4 -12 weeks for the BAH to start.

you will need your BC, SSN ( does not matter if it has been changed) and a picture ID, does not matter if it was changed)

it will take about 10 minutes to get you into the DEERS system and 30 days or so to get your medical started .
  3. Senior Member
    You will need your marriage certificate as well.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyluvbug View Post
    You will need your marriage certificate as well.
    LOL ooops left that important detail out!!
  5. Senior Member
    Okay, I know the BAH won't kick in before the other wedding date. We just want to get the paperwork done ASAP so we can get it as soon as we can. Thank you so much for your help though, I was worried I needed to have the ID names changed.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    LOL ooops left that important detail out!!
    LOL! It happens!

Quote Originally Posted by TianaKay View Post
    Okay, I know the BAH won't kick in before the other wedding date. We just want to get the paperwork done ASAP so we can get it as soon as we can. Thank you so much for your help though, I was worried I needed to have the ID names changed.
    You don't need to have your name changed before getting your MIL ID. In fact, I didn't change my SS card or DL until we'd been married for a year or so.

I didn't need my birth certificate, but, it's a good idea to have it with you.