Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Referral

1. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth

Referral

Advertisements
    I went to see my doctor yesterday and she's finally giving me a referral to go off base to see someone. I've never had a referral before and was wondering if there will be any extra costs that I have to pay since I'm on prime and will be going to a civilian doctor? Since I have a referral will Tricare cover everything?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They always have for us.
  3. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    I've never had to pay anything with referrals, so I think you should be good.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

With referrals you pay nothing. Everything is covered as it would be at the mtf
  5. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth
    Thanks everyone!!
  6. Regular Member
    the referral covers you if you would have gone with out one then you would have to pay. it is basically the Dr. telling the insurance company I cant help her so i'm going to send her to some one who can. you should be just fine
    Hated by many, but loved by thousands...which side you on?
  7. Senior Member

You should be fine, but just in case, I would call the doctor's office to double check to make sure you won't have to pay out of pocket costs for the visit. Let them know that you're with Tricare too.

If you do, just take the receipt to Tricare (at your MTF) and you'll be reimbursed. If your doctor issues medication, just take the prescription to your base hospital and fill it there.
  8. AKA USAFgfChels
    AKA USAFgfChels

I used to work with/for Tricare on base here. Just make sure the referral/doctor does not require prior authorization from Tricare, and if it does not then you should be good to ok and everything should be covered.
  9. his baby sloth
    his baby sloth
    Quote Originally Posted by chai_latte View Post
    You should be fine, but just in case, I would call the doctor's office to double check to make sure you won't have to pay out of pocket costs for the visit. Let them know that you're with Tricare too.

If you do, just take the receipt to Tricare (at your MTF) and you'll be reimbursed. If your doctor issues medication, just take the prescription to your base hospital and fill it there.
    I'll definitely call the doctor ahead of time, but I won't know which doctor it is until I get the paper in the mail. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by USAFgfChels View Post
    I used to work with/for Tricare on base here. Just make sure the referral/doctor does not require prior authorization from Tricare, and if it does not then you should be good to ok and everything should be covered.
    I'm not sure what you mean by prior authorization? I was just told by my PCM that she'd put in the referral request and than Tricare would send me and the doctor they picked a paper with the information for the referral. She told me after I get the paper that I'm free to call the doctor and make an appointment to see him or her.
  10. AKA USAFgfChels
    AKA USAFgfChels

Quote Originally Posted by Heather33 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by prior authorization? I was just told by my PCM that she'd put in the referral request and than Tricare would send me and the doctor they picked a paper with the information for the referral. She told me after I get the paper that I'm free to call the doctor and make an appointment to see him or her.
    Ok, then yes the paper you will receive in the mail or online through Tricare is your authorization letter. That's what I was making sure you were getting. I've seen people just go to doctors with out authorization and end up paying a lot. Just making sure
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast