Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JOP wedding--can DF live in barracks?

1. Regular Member

JOP wedding--can DF live in barracks?

Advertisements
    My fiance and I are thinking about getting a JOP wedding at the court house before he leaves for the sandbox and have our actual wedding afterward. Only problem is he's 3,000 miles away, so we'd have to either do it on summer block leave or Christmas exodus, and I'll be staying behind to finish up school. We're hoping to use part of BAH to pay the rent on my apartment.
    I know that married guys aren't *usually* allowed in the barracks, but would they let him live there because of these special circumstances? He would only be in the states for 2 months after the JOP, and thus only need housing for 2 months, so he wouldn't want to sign a 12-month lease since it would be a waste of money. We have some aquaintences who did something similar (but without the deployment) and he was able to stay in the barracks for 4 months while she was finishing up her semester.
    Is there such a thing as "married barracks" (I know, its practically an oxymoron, lol)? Is there any paperwork he could fill out so he could still live in the barracks? Do you have any creative ideas on how we can make this work?
    Thanks in advance!!
  2. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!
    he can live in the barracks if you're geo-baching officially, but i don't believe you'll get any BAH. i'm sure someone else will be able to tell you more!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure something can be worked out!

My DF had a roommate right when he relocated who was married. He was able to stay in the barracks until he finished his course despite the wedlock.
  4. To infinity and beyond
    To infinity and beyond
    We are together again for a little while:)
    As far as I know there are no married barracks. I know for AF, spouses can't live in base dorms, that's why I say that. Even if he did sign a lease, most apartment complexes have a military clause that basically says if you have to up and leave your apartment for anything military related they can't hold you to the 12 month contract.
    Still just as much in love with you as the day we wed

usabug7 is my wifey
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DF and I have thought about geo-baching and he would have been able to stay in the barracks as assigned so long as we were officially geo-baching, but every unit is different.
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    DH still lived in the barracks until I moved to be with him a month later after our JOP.

I wouldn't count on that BAH though... It doesn't automatically kick in & you could be waiting a few months to see that money.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by christyxlynn View Post
    I'm sure something can be worked out!

My DF had a roommate right when he relocated who was married. He was able to stay in the barracks until he finished his course despite the wedlock.
    Course... so he was in some sort of schooling? DF isn't in any schools right now, just regular day-to-day job.
    After he was done with his course, was he forced to leave the barracks?
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KelseyDana View Post
    Course... so he was in some sort of schooling? DF isn't in any schools right now, just regular day-to-day job.
    After he was done with his course, was he forced to leave the barracks?
    He wasn't "forced" to, but his wife was allowed to stay with him for a few days after graduation before they bought a house together..I would definitely call housing.
  9. Senior Member
    Me and DH got married about 3 months before he deployed and I stayed behind for the same reasons and he stayed in the barracks. They basically just waited to do his paperwork until right before he deployed so he didn't get kicked out of the barracks.

If you do the geobachelor thing .. you won't get BAH. I don't know how it would work once he deploys, but thats why we did it the way we did. But it would probably depend on his command whether or not they would do something like that so he can stay there until deployment.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    for the BAH it will kick in as soon as he turns in the paperwork, gets you into DEERS and you get your ID.

for the barracks this is both branch and command specific- ALL 5 branches have done away with the GEO BACH program and they no longer recognise it for housing purposes-
    GEO's can live in barracks if there is space avail- however the branch/command could make the member pay 20-30 dollars a day or forfiet the entire BAH.
    also GEO's are the first to get kicked out if they need a room.

your then DH can wait to submit the paperwork to stay in the barracks, but that will mean no BAH, no ID card and NO medical.
    with this it is ALL or nothing. they worse case senario is that kick him out and he has to bum a couch for someone for 2 months.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast