Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tricare for dummies?

1. i request the highest of fives!
    i request the highest of fives!

tricare for dummies?

Advertisements
    OK. I know I am enrolled in Tricare. But that is the complete extent of my knowledge, and I'm a little worried about DH leaving while I still have no idea of how to use the system or anything of that nature. So, give a dummy a run down? I honestly still can't even keep standard and prime straight.

So far, I have yet to go to any doctors (other then the ER once ) since we moved out here, and I was planning on visiting my old OBGYN when I'm in NY during the summer. When they ask for my insurance info, can I just toss them my ID and pay a co-pay? Or do I need to, like, register myself and my doctors and a whole bunch of bananas?

And if I do decide to just establish a doctor out here, do I need to make a choice from some database or can I just google someone and drop by and say I have Tricare? Or do I go on base?

Really any basic info would be great. I feel unprepared and uninformed, and there is NOTHING I hate more than that! Thanks!
  2. eres el amor de mi vida <33
    eres el amor de mi vida <33
    I can tell you that for finding a doctor in network you just use the site and according to the zone your in (it will tell you) they will find you a doctor that is tri-care approved I did that while I was still in college. If you are on standard you can see any approved doctor I believe and prime is on base and referrals only.

Other than that I'm hopeless with Tricare since I just go to the hospital on base.
  3. ...
    Do you know what plan you have? Prime or Standard.
  4. i request the highest of fives!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    Do you know what plan you have? Prime or Standard.
    i have whichever you automatically get... still can't remember which it is
  5. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    You have to figure out what plan you're on and then if your obgyn accepts that plan.

I'm standard and my obgyn only accepts standard. However, I had my surgery yesterday, and I'm *pretty* sure I have to pay 20% of the hospital bill, whereas prime, you can go to a list of specific civilian doctors and you only pay like $450 per family per year.

I'm still trying to figure it all out myself

6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    You automatically get put on Standard.

So with Standard, you can go to any doctor in your area that accepts Tricare. The online database is crap as far as I'm concerned. I found my doctor through referrals & google. Just called to double check that they accepted Tricare. And with Standard, they wont see you on base. Or at least not on mine... I don't even exist to them.

Prime is a little trickier. You can't just choose your doctor from what I've been told. You either have to go on base or get a referral from Tricare.

If you go out of town/state, you have to call Tricare to give them the heads up that you're in a new area for the time being.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    If he didn't further enroll you in prime, you're probably standard

8. i request the highest of fives!
    awesome
    thanks guys!
  9. I has me the bestest Hubblie!!
    I has me the bestest Hubblie!!
    yay... this post helped me too... thanks for asking Lorem_ipsum
    Always his, Forever faithful
    DH: "i thinking about you all day long and wish i could fight this war and come home every night, but i will before we both know it. im the luckies man in the world because i found a girl like you and i put my name on it "
    NukesQueen, Pink2hiscamo, MonkeyEyes are my sister wives!!!
    USMCgf1 is my super moto marine spouse sister!!
  10. be silly. be honest. be kind.
    be silly. be honest. be kind.
    I think really how you handle Tricare and your appointments can differ by base too. At Ft Hood, I was assigned a PCM (Primary Care Manger, basically my regular Dr). I could request to have this changed if I wanted, and the Dr was actually at a Tricare/military affiliated clinic off post. To make an appointment, I called the Ft Hood Tricare appointment line.

Here in Germany, there's just a small clinic where I've also been assigned a PCM, and to make appointments I call the clinic phone number on the day that I would like to be seen for an appointment. It's just the way they run the clinic here.

There's a number on the back of your Tricare card (the Tricare help line or something to that effect?) that I've called multiple times with questions and they've always been really nice and helpful, whether I was asking how to make an appointment at Ft Hood/out of state or how the whole Tricare system worked.

"The purpose of life is not to simply be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast