Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ID, POA, DEERS question?

1. Regular Member

ID, POA, DEERS question?

Advertisements
    I am flying down to Georgia in May to get married to my DF who is in AIT, it will only be for a weekend so I dont think I will have time to go to the DEERS office there, can I go to a base or armory where I live in Oregon after we are married without him? Also how do I go about doing POA for both of us? do we need to do that together when we get our marriage license? Sorry about all the questions, I just want to do things right, THANKS!

"I serve for the united states army, but I live to serve you baby" - DH
  2. I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I honestly don't know about the POA because my husband just got it for me and signed the DD Form 1172 so that I could go to the DEERS office myself and get my ID card. Make sure he fills out that form. You can go to any base to get an ID. And you need to go together to apply for your marriage license.
    live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you no one would believe it ♥
    coffee addict!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You do not have to get a POA from the courthouse and you do not need to be married to have one. However he has to be the one to do the paperwork and get it signed, its not something you both need to be present for.

As for the DEERS office and getting all of your stuff, your best bet is to call the base closets to you in Oregan (wherever you would go to do this) and see what they require if you will be going in without him. Call a few times and ask for names to make sure you get a consistent answer and if you do have any issues when you go, you can say you talked to person X,Y, and Z and that is what they said.

Generally you would need your marriage license, a specific POA for handling military records/issues, 2 other forms of ID, and a signed DD form 1172.
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    You'll need your marriage license before anything. Afterwards, you can go to any base to be enrolled in DEERS & get your ID.
    I don't really know about the POA because I couldn't get it for myself, DH had to get it for me.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    about the ID and DEERS things.. about the POA... Hubs filled out paper work and his recruiter brought it by to have me sign.. That is all I did..
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  6. Regular Member

Jump for Joy

Thanks everyone! I know girls probably ask these same questions every day lol

"I serve for the united states army, but I live to serve you baby" - DH
  7. Regular Member
    Husband had to get the POA on base and fill out the paperwork. Looks like everyone addressed everything else! Congratulations!!
  8. Senior Member
    We went to the register of deeds office at the courthouse to get the POA. We were also told that JAG could give us one as well.