Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Dental & Crowns... HELP!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Tricare Dental & Crowns... HELP!

Advertisements

I have been sifting through the Tricare Benefits/Coverage booklet for awhile now and am needing some clarification if anyone can offer any.

NB - I am not married to DB, although our engagement and marriage is imminent and we are (well, he is... I'm impatient) just waiting for appropriate timing with Immigration papers and their crazy processing periods and DBs PCS to NC and new training schedule.

Anyway... this is our connundrum (and DB is no help because he has never really used any of these services).

I have 4 crowns on my 4 upper front teeth - the result of an accident when I was younger. I finally received my crowns at 16yrs old and that puts my crowns at 10yrs, this year. I am trying to figure out whether it would be better to get the work done here in Canada before I moved to the US... or wait until I am with DB (who will be DH) to use his coverage. Basically... which is more cost efficient AND will I run into problems/troubles with WANTING to replace my crowns even if it is not medically 'pressing' for me to get them done.

Here are the stats from my coverage:

- Quoted $3500 from my dentist
    - My coverage from work will pay 50%
    - Is covered regardless of the condition of my current crowns

Here are my questions (for Tricare):

- What IS the actual coverage for crowns? Is there a "yearly/lifetime" maximum?
    - In your experience, what is the cost per crown? ($600? $800?)
    - Do the crowns need to be in 'poor shape' or show signs of needing to be replaced for Tricare to 'OK' the coverage? (Or will they say "no" to coverage because it is deemed cosmetic?)

If I can wait to get my crowns until I am with DB, I can get braces (just bottoms teeth) here through my current coverage before I move (which I know I cannot get through Tricare as I will be 26). However, the crowns, being though they are my four front teeth, take precedence over what would be purely cosmetic straightening of my lower teeth. I cannot do BOTH here in Canada because my plan will only cover one or the other in a 12month period (which happens to start in March) and I will not be here next year. In my perfect imaginary world... Coverage/cost would be about the same as what I have now, but through Tricare, so I can go forth and get my braces here in Canada and then opt for my crowns to be replaced sometime after I am in the US. Here's hoping!

TIA for your help... I know this is dry and boring... but I am trying to plan!
  2. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    im getting one in two weeks and my copayment for my crown is about 400$ and it was another 600$ to have a root canal and prep for the crown and i got that done day before yesterday.

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    im getting one in two weeks and my copayment for my crown is about 400$ and it was another 600$ to have a root canal and prep for the crown and i got that done day before yesterday.
    I'd hate to come off as remedial... but 'co-payment' is the portion you pay out of pocket, right?
  4. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    Quote Originally Posted by br33 View Post
    NB - I am not married to DB, although our engagement and marriage is imminent and we are (well, he is... I'm impatient) just waiting for appropriate timing with Immigration papers and their crazy processing periods and DBs PCS to NC and new training schedule.

that's all

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  5. Senior Member
    I'd hate to come off as remedial... but 'co-payment' is the portion you pay out of pocket, right?

I'm wondering if you will have a different price for front teeth vs back teeth .
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  6. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    yes mam!

7. Senior Member
    Yes.

I'd say get them done there. UC dental covers only $1200 per year. The midrange for a crown is at least $600, so, you could get two crowns done (assuming NO other charges, which there will be) under the $1200 cap, with $1200 out of pocket. Unfortunately, the 3rd one will be above the yearly cap, so you'd be out of pocket entirely for the full cost ($1200) of that one. If you're only paying $1750 to have it done there, I'd be all over that.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post

that's all
    Whatever... I'm asking about dental crowns and YOU'RE GOING TO HAWAII!

Pfft... shouldn't you be tanning or something

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post

I'm wondering if you will have a different price for front teeth vs back teeth .
    Thanks... and yea... I have no idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Miriah View Post
    yes mam!
    Thanks!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KatyB View Post
    Yes.

I'd say get them done there. UC dental covers only $1200 per year. The midrange for a crown is at least $600, so, you could get two crowns done (assuming NO other charges, which there will be) under the $1200 cap, with $1200 out of pocket. Unfortunately, the 3rd one will be above the yearly cap, so you'd be out of pocket entirely for the full cost ($1200) of that one. If you're only paying $1750 to have it done there, I'd be all over that.
    Plus it will be with a dentist you already know and trust.

Does your dentist think they really need to be replaced now? I know crowns don't last forever, but I thought it was longer than 10 years...
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by KatyB View Post
    Yes.

Thank you! That gives me great insight... but, just to be annoying...

Would I be able to get 2 crowns done on year 1 ($1200 max) and then get the other 2 done a year later? (another $1200 max) Or is there some kind of lifetime maximum that you know of?

Quote Originally Posted by azarmygf View Post
    Plus it will be with a dentist you already know and trust.

Does your dentist think they really need to be replaced now? I know crowns don't last forever, but I thought it was longer than 10 years...
    My dentist said my crowns were 'just fine' from the looks of things... he said crowns can last anywhere from 5 to 40 years - depending on a lot of things. Because I got them so young, my gums have receded a bit and I find, since I have aged/matured, on my face they look a bit... chicklet-y . My dentist said that at this point it IS a cosmetic choice... but that given my coverage, its a great option. He also noted that since I had them done 10yrs ago, there have been many advances in the techniques and materials that would make it a good investment/preventative measure (rather than just waiting for these ones to... fall out/get damaged).

ETA - Somewhere int he Tricare booklet it says crowns last 5 to 15yrs.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast