Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ID Card and POA ??'s

1. Senior Member

Question ID Card and POA ??'s

Advertisements
    Does anyone know if I need to get my civilian drivers license and SS card changed before I get my military ID card? If I have not changed my license and such can I get my married name on my ID card? If I can't and we get a POA for me to do paperwork for processing orders while he finishes his deployment and then change my name will we have to get a new POA? I know its still months away but we are trying to pack alot into the 2 weeks he is home, I am trying to figure out a timeline for all we need to accomplish.
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Yes, just bring your birth certificate & marriage license.

I didn't change my license & SS card before I got my ID.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Yes, just bring your birth certificate & marriage license.

I didn't change my license & SS card before I got my ID.
    Thanks that was fast, do you know if the POA would be able to be in my married name then too?
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by casper02 View Post
    Thanks that was fast, do you know if the POA would be able to be in my married name then too?
    I don't see why not.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

It depends on the base, I didn't get a permanent ID with my married name until AFTER I got my SS card back. Even with all my paperwork (birth certificate, marriage license, etc.) they would only give me a temporary one, and then I had to go back after I got my SS card in the mail.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojai View Post
    It depends on the base, I didn't get a permanent ID with my married name until AFTER I got my SS card back. Even with all my paperwork (birth certificate, marriage license, etc.) they would only give me a temporary one, and then I had to go back after I got my SS card in the mail.
    I will keep that in mind too, thanks
  7. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

We have been married almost 6 yrs, everything military related is in my married name, everything else is in my maiden name. I carry a copy of my marriage license with me in my purse/car. For POA, it depends on what it is for, if it is to get your ID, then it will be in your maiden name (same name as the ID you will use to access base)

8. Senior Member
    I would think with a POA since it is a legal document you would have to have your legal name on it. So if you change your name, that would be your new legal name. I dont know about your ID though. At the SS office they will give you a paper saying that you have changed your name. I took that paper with me everywhere to get my named changed. I'm sure PSD would accept that too if your want to put your married name on it. (plus your birth certificate and marriage license.)