Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Card and Tricare

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

ID Card and Tricare

Advertisements
    Hi everyone, I just got married a few months ago to my DH in the navy. He is stationed overseas and I was wondering how I will be able to enroll in Tricare and get an ID card. He has POA for me but I don't have it for him. Is there anyway he can get the card for me? Thanks I'm new to the whole military thing and finding it rather confusing.
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Be sure to introduce yourself in the newbie section.

No, you need to get the card yourself because they take your picture.

Are you enrolled in DEERS yet?

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I'm not enrolled in DEERS yet, I hope next week. Will I be able to get on base without an ID card? Also is there a form for the ID card he needs to fill out or anything? Sorry for all the questions!
  4. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by snwbirdy View Post
    I'm not enrolled in DEERS yet, I hope next week. Will I be able to get on base without an ID card? Also is there a form for the ID card he needs to fill out or anything? Sorry for all the questions!
    Once you're enrolled in DEERS, you'll be enrolled in Tricare Standard.
    You'll have to get a visitor's pass to get on base & go down to the office where you'll get your ID. You can ask where that is at the pass office.

You'll need to bring your birth certificate, marriage license, SS card, & a picture ID. He wont need to fill anything out since you have a POA so just bring all those things down to the ID office, you'll fill out a form & you'll get your ID. Make sure you bring your POA papers with you.

Once you have your ID, you have a choice in whether you want to stay on Tricare Standard or switch to Prime. If you want to switch to Prime, you'll have to go down to the Tricare office, which should also be on base.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  5. I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I got soul but I'm not a soldier ♥
    I remember DH having to fill out DD Form 1172 in addition to having POA, but you might be able to still get an ID card without that form.

Bring all of the documents Rissa*Rawr mentioned. I think I had to know my husband's SSN, too, so it wouldn't hurt to know that as well.
    live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you no one would believe it ♥
    coffee addict!
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks ladies, that was really helpful!
  7. Supporting my husband/hero
    Supporting my husband/hero
    Wow, and people thought it was a lot of work for civilians to change their names!
  8. Regular Member
    what i dont understand about this, is that my husband took our marriage license and birth certificates with him ( the originals ).. he said his recruiter told him to..
    so i dont have those things to take with me. He has them .. I dont know what to do.
    I need to go get military ID's for me and our girls, like asap.
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bettycrocker View Post
    what i dont understand about this, is that my husband took our marriage license and birth certificates with him ( the originals ).. he said his recruiter told him to..
    so i dont have those things to take with me. He has them .. I dont know what to do.
    I need to go get military ID's for me and our girls, like asap.
    you'll just have to wait until he comes back or have him mail you them if you don't have extras. if he mails them to you (overnights, next day etc) there's a form he'll need to fill out. How old are your girls? If they are both of yours, and they aren't 10 years or older they might not be able to get one. If they are from a former relationship they might be able to if they will utilize the facilities when they are not with him. (if the other parent has custody of them)
  10. Senior Member
    Your best bet is to call the office at your local base and ask them exactly what you need as far as paperwork and if you need an appointment. Every base is a bit different.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast