Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?

1. gypsy with a stethoscope
    gypsy with a stethoscope

?

Advertisements
    This may be a really dumb quesstion... We just got married, do I need to change my last name on my social security card and stuff before he "puts me in the system" or what do I need to do?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It depends on the base and person who processes it.

Some will change it to your married name before you officially do it at SS or the DMV, some will make you use your maiden name until you officially change it and then make you come back to get a new one.

I would call ahead and ask them, also ask what to bring because that has differed from place to place... I had to bring my marriage license, 2 forms of ID, SS card, and birth certificate
  3. Senior Member
    It took me over a year to change my name (because I didn't want to get a new passport right away). It wasn't a big deal at all.
  4. gypsy with a stethoscope
    gypsy with a stethoscope
    ok Thanks that helps a lot
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Yep, your best bet is to call and ask. I didn't need a new SS card w/my new last name on it, just our marriage license and another form of ID.
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  6. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    We put me into DEERS at Bragg and the guy asked me if I was changing my name. He was going to enter me with my married name. At the time, I had decided to keep my maiden name, so I am in DEERS with my maiden name. But it depends on who you get there.

I did later change my name, so when DH is home, I will get a new card.

Also, to save yourself time, make an appointment. You can do it online. We didn't because DH's friend said it took them 15 minutes. We waited 2 hours.
  7. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    I got my first military spouse ID with my married name on it because that's what it said I was changing it to on our marriage license. But I didn't change my name on my social security card until it was almost 3 years after we got married It wasn't a big deal at all. It just meant that whenever I had to use my social security card as a form of identification (like at the DMV) I had to have our marriage license with me as well.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    The Army is EXCELLENT at losing marriage licenses. Please get a few extra copies made. Give the Army a certified copy and not the original.

We never got ours back. It is out there somewhere with my original birth certificate and my social security card. Ugh, all a scammer needs to duplicate my idnetity and destroy my life. Thanks Army...
  9. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    i found it easier to change it ahead of time... but yeah it really depends
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by unicornmystery View Post
    This may be a really dumb quesstion... We just got married, do I need to change my last name on my social security card and stuff before he "puts me in the system" or what do I need to do?
    I went to the ID card office before I went to Social Security. They let me get my ID card but I had to put my maiden name on it. Then I went to Social Security, and a few days later went back to the ID card office to get my name updated with my new name. I thought it was going to be a huge pain in the butt but it was pretty painless. Just depends if you want to go ahead and have commissary/PX priveleges and whatnot :p. Food is really expensive here and I didn't want to wait any longer before I could go to the commissary and I was tired of waiting for DH to get off work so I could go with him, haha :p
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast