Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Putting a baby in Deers

1. Proving people wrong since 1987.
    Proving people wrong since 1987.

Putting a baby in Deers

Advertisements
    So, it's been a while and I was wondering if one of you lovely ladies could just refresh my memory and give me a runthrough of what we do once the baby is born. Tia!

2. Senior Member
    From the TRICARE site: http://www.tricare.mil/mybenefit/Pro...ERS%2FUpdating

Updating Personal Information

You may verify or update DEERS in one of the following ways:

Visit a local ID card office to add/remove family members. Call first to verify business hours or to set up an appointment.
    Sign in and update your addresses, e-mail address and phone numbers online with milConnect.
    Call 1-800-538-9552 to update your addresses, e-mail address and phone numbers. (TTY/TDD: 1-866-363-2883)
    Fax address, e-mail address or phone number changes to 1-831-655-8317.
    Mail changes and supporting documentation to:
    Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office
    Attn: COA
    400 Gigling Road
    Seaside, CA 93955-6771

What You Need to Update DEERS
    To register family members in DEERS, sponsors must complete an Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment (DD Form 1172-2) and provide documentation, such as marriage or birth certificate.

To update DEERS, sponsors may need to provide documentation, such as Social Security numbers, active duty separation papers (DD Form 214) or Medicare cards. Each family member's eligibility record must be updated separately.

Note: If the sponsor is not available, family members can update DEERS with a valid Power of Attorney.

When to Update DEERS
    You should update your record in the whenever you experience any of the following (this list is not all-inclusive):

Change in sponsor's status:
    Retiring or separating from active duty
    National Guard or Reserve member activation or deactivation
    Change in service status (e.g. enlisted to officer, branch change)
    Getting married or divorced
    Having a baby or adopting a child
    Moving to a new location for any reason
    Becoming entitled to Medicare (either you or a family member)
    Death of sponsor or family member
    If you are enrolled in a TRICARE plan such as TRICARE Prime, TRICARE Prime Remote, TRICARE Reserve Select, TRICARE Prime Overseas or TRICARE Prime Remote Overseas, remember to also change your address with your regional contractor.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I just sent dh to the mpf to the office. She did not yet have a social security card, or a birth certificate
  4. Regular Member
    you shouldn't need a social security card, my DS doesn't have one yet hes currently almost 7 months and we enrolled him in deers acouple days after he was born
  5. Senior Member
    We took his as card ( which I don't think we needed, but we had) and his birth certificate (which we had to have) and get him enrolled. We tried to do it with his birth certificate, but that was a no go.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It was all done at the hospital. They had an office dh just took his temp birth certificate to and the did that and tricare