Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing Allowance Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Housing Allowance Question

Advertisements
    My husband will be joining the Marines here in the next week and we've had so many different answers as to when the housing allowance starts. I was wondering if anyone knows if it starts when he leaves for boot or will we have to wait awhile before we receive any money? I know he can give us an allotment from his base pay but will that also include our housing allowance? I just want to know if I am going to have to pick up and move back in with my parents or not while he's gone. I've heard so many different answers about this it is ridiculous! : I would just love to know ahead of time what we will be needing to do.

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    You'll get BAH for where you live while he is at basic. It may take a couple of pay periods for him to start getting paid, so be prepared for that.
  3. Senior Member
    His pay will be funky for the first few months more than likely. He will spend a good portion on stuff he needs as well. I would prepare for the worst and not count on any substantial monies for at least two months until everything gets situated

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    His pay will be funky for the first few months more than likely. He will spend a good portion on stuff he needs as well. I would prepare for the worst and not count on any substantial monies for at least two months until everything gets situated
    Will we be back paid for the months that he's been there and didn't get paid for?? Maybe my land lord would be more understanding if he knew he'd be getting two months rent from me at once. Lol.
  5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by clear1990 View Post
    Will we be back paid for the months that he's been there and didn't get paid for?? Maybe my land lord would be more understanding if he knew he'd be getting two months rent from me at once. Lol.
    Yes you will get back paid from the day he arrives to boot camp.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    BAH and pay for the Marines is usually very delayed- most do not see any pay or allowances until week 6 -

pay and all allowances including BAH are paid retroactively- so if he joins say feb 15th - the pay would not be due until march 1st.

military pay days are the 15th of the current month and the balance on the 1st of the following month.
    for BAH it is paid 1/2 on the 15th and the balance on the first-- always 2 weeks behind .

the pay in BC is wonky because they have things they have to pay for and starting pay and allowances takes a couple of weeks.

plan to not see any money for 6 weeks after he starts BC.
  7. Regular Member
    I was a marine wife and randomly decided to move down to the base with him. The first month i moved down there was tight and he had to get a pay advance which means he gets part of his next check early to help and then got bah like 3 weeks later. We only got it bc we were married im not sure if u can get it otherwise... once he deployed we got like 800 a month in nc for bah and our rent was 900. dk if this helps at all. We lived off base. On base u dont have to worry abt paying it u dont get bah they just pay your rent.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks so much guys! It stinks that it takes so long for it to start and it looks like it varies person to person...so guess who's moving back in with mom?! Ughhhh. : Totally stinks but oh well. At least I can save money that way.
  9. Moderator

Our pay was correct on the very first paycheck. We got super lucky. So it's a possibility, but best to plan for the worst. Good luck!
  10. Senior Member
    BAH starts with basic training. It may take a few paychecks for everything to be correct, but you will get paid that money back.