Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tri Care Question

1. I Whip My Hair Back and Forth
    I Whip My Hair Back and Forth

Tri Care Question

Advertisements
    DH is supposed to separate from the military in a few months. What would happen if i were to get pregnant? Would I still be cut off when his contract expires?

We're aren't eligible for TAMP.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I believe the answer is yes, Tricare ends once his contract ends if you are not eligible for the extensions or TRS (which you pay for).
  3. I Whip My Hair Back and Forth
    Quote Originally Posted by His♥PITA View Post
    I believe the answer is yes, Tricare ends once his contract ends if you are not eligible for the extensions or TRS (which you pay for).
    so then what would happen? You pay cobra?
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    That would be my assumption, at least until either of you can get a job that has insurance.
  5. Senior Member

I thought everyone was covered for 180 days after his last day. You can call Tricare and ask. He'll go through classes when he gets out and they should address that then. Write down a list of all your "life after military" questions and have him ask them in his TAP classes.
  6. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Is it an end of contract separation? I ask because a lot of people are dealing with the whole ERB thing still. Anyways, for us DH will have Tricare for 6months after his final day in the Navy. Which gives us PLENTY of time to figure out insurance and what not. You and your DH need to ask a lot more questions he can ask people in his command, and y'all can talk to the people at tri-care to get a better understanding of what to expect.

They shouldn't just flat out cut you off RIGHT after he's out, but they will cut it off after a certain amount of time. It won't just keep going because you decide to get pregnant. Thing is I'm not sure when that'd be as far as when they'd officially cancel your tri-care(tri-care in general is annoying to deal with ) you'd have to go to the source and ask.

ETA: Also you do NOT and I mean do NOT want to keep up the tri-care once it stops being "free" threw him working for the military. Just for DH, me, and DD the quote was like $550 and something a MONTH. Hell no! You can find MUCH better insurance with great coverage and it'll cost MUCH less then trying to do anything they will offer you(like keeping the same insurance, but you paying for it instead of the military covering it.).
    Signature removed due to size.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    if he is just ETSING then the benefits stop the day he gets out. even if your pg.

you can get the COBRA insurance - however it is very very expensive.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if he is just ETSING then the benefits stop the day he gets out. even if your pg.

you can get the COBRA insurance - however it is very very expensive.
    Yep. Unless he's entitled the extra time on Tricare you'd have to pay for COBRA (which is about $1000/month usually on Tricare, maybe more).

Probably not the best time to be planning a baby...
  9. I Whip My Hair Back and Forth
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    Yep. Unless he's entitled the extra time on Tricare you'd have to pay for COBRA (which is about $1000/month usually on Tricare, maybe more).

Probably not the best time to be planning a baby...
    Trust me that's why we're on the pill, but I forgot to take it last week. Ugh. I hope everything is ok. I'm sure it is.