Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DEERS and ID Cards

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

DEERS and ID Cards

Advertisements
    Im newly married to my marine. He is currently in Japan and I am living in Charlotte NC. My question is how do I go about getting registered in DEERS and getting my ID card? What documents will I need? Also I have a daughter who I will also be registering into DEERS so what documents will I need for her? And also ive heard I wouldnt have to travel all the way to a military base to get these and that there are some "military offices" in Charlotte where I can do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Do you have a POA? I'm not sure how it's like in Charlotte but here you would need one for registering in DEERS & applying for an ID card without your SO.

You'll need your marriage license & 2 forms of id. Some places require your birth certificate too. Same for your DD, birth certificate & 2 forms of id.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  3. Banned
    Banned
    there are no military offices, and this cannot be done at recruiters offices you will have to go to either a AD base or a reserve base ( any branch)

you cannot enroll in DEERS your DH will have to do that -

but for your ID you will need a form from him that will be all filled out, and 2 forms of ID.
    ( picture ID and Birth certicate or Passport SS Card ect)
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Do you have a POW? I'm not sure how it's like in Charlotte but here you would need one for registering in DEERS & applying for an ID card without your SO.

You'll need your marriage license & 2 forms of id. Some places require your birth certificate too. Same for your DD, birth certificate & 2 forms of id.

I think she means POA ( power of attorney)
  5. Senior Member
    Those things can only be done on-post. There are no "offices" that will take care of this. You will need a power of attorney to get any of it done yourself. If you don't have one, he will have to enter you and your daughter into DEERS, if he has the proper paperwork to do so. But you will not be able to get your ID cards without him or without a power of attorney.
  6. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I think she means POA ( power of attorney)
    Yes, I do. I'm so tired!

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MS234755 View Post
    Those things can only be done on-post. There are no "offices" that will take care of this. You will need a power of attorney to get any of it done yourself. If you don't have one, he will have to enter you and your daughter into DEERS, if he has the proper paperwork to do so. But you will not be able to get your ID cards without him or without a power of attorney.
    Depends on the base... I didn't have POA and went in with all the proper paperwork (The form DH needed to fill out, 2 forms of ID, marriage license, ect) and was able to do it myself. I called a head of time though and explained to them our situation to make sure I could do this... I would say most bases you need the bolded.

OP call the closest base to you (has to be a base, no offices) and just explain to them your situation and ask them what you need to do. Generally he has to be there or you need a POA but sometimes they will work with you.... either way though there is a form he has to fill out so he will need to get that and either give it to the base he is at or fax/mail you a copy.
  8. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MS234755 View Post
    I am pretty sure a faxed POA works as well. If that helps you out OP.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    there are no military offices, and this cannot be done at recruiters offices you will have to go to either a AD base or a reserve base ( any branch)

you cannot enroll in DEERS your DH will have to do that -

but for your ID you will need a form from him that will be all filled out, and 2 forms of ID.
    ( picture ID and Birth certicate or Passport SS Card ect)
    Closest base to you is probably Ft. Jackson in Columbia, SC.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rissa*Rawr View Post
    Yes, I do. I'm so tired!
    Now you know how I felt the other night, when I couldn't keep up with your thread!

In addition, it really does you no good to be in DEERS if you don't have your ID cards, since your ID card is your proof of insurance for medical care. It's also going to be difficult for you to get on base to get anything done without an ID card. I would see about either having him take leave to come visit you to get all of this done, or sending him a POA to sign, and having it notorized when he sends it back to you. You may also want to find out the policies of the base closest to you, in terms of being allowed on base without an ID card. Some bases only require a driver's license, other require military tags on the car, or a military ID.

If he came here for you two to get married, it would have been a lot easier to get this all done while he was still here.

***EDIT*** I didn't realize some posts will let you do all this without a POA or the service member present. At the post closest to us, I either had to have a POA, or he had to be with me. I would follow Sam's suggestion, and call ahead and ask, while you're calling to ask about getting on post without an ID card.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast