Military Significant Others and Spouse Support -
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: retired dependent - tricare benefits

  1. Fresh Newbie
    HappyInMaine's Avatar
    HappyInMaine is offline
    Fresh Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Bangor Maine

    retired dependent - tricare benefits

    My daughter is 19, she is in school college full time, she needs new military ID card (expiring soon), and DEERS - tricare enrollment form signed (needs reverification in March).
    FATHER; retired (27 years in USN), refuses to sign anything for her medical benefits. He is non responsive to emails or conversation.
    ME; "DB" ID CARD holder.
    My question: does father HAVE to provide medical insurance (tricare)?
    How do I get him to reverify her and sign papers?
    Thank you very much.
  2. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    I doubt that once she's 18 that he has to do anything unfortunately. I hope you can get through to him.
  3. Senior Member
    Southern-queen's Avatar
    Southern-queen is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Are you and the father married?

    If not what is in the divorce decree/child support order in regards to insurance for said child.
  4. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    KarmaRocks's Avatar
    KarmaRocks is offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Has she tried to talk to him about this? Maybe he would be more responsive to her. If he's only paying for single Tricare, or only has TRICARE standard (which doesn't cost him anything) then him signing her up would cost him money (if he put her on Prime). He would have to either sign up for Prime and/or switch from single to family.

    If you are divorced, what does the divorce decree say about insurance for children? If it says he must provide then I would go to your attorney and have him file paperwork to compel your ex to fulfull his responsibility.

    If it's not in writing, you may have to provide insurance for your daughter some other way.

    "Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  5. Senior Member
    Beach's Avatar
    Beach is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Call a Tricare benefit advisor and explain the situation. There is a way to go around the service member if they are being a jerk. You may have to pay the fees though. I know someone who had to deal with a very similar situation. She kept her kids on Tricare but had to pay the fees out of her own pocket.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts