Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Can they really??? (BAH and those ???)

1. Senior Member

Confused Can they really??? (BAH and those ???)

Advertisements
    Haven't posted in a while, but I have a confusing mess going on, and hope to maybe get some input.....

DH received orders to Japan back in spring. Accompanied tour for 3 years. We got our passports, did our Overseas screening, and our shipments were picked up in October for HHG, and whatnot. DH left for school mid-October in Whidbey, Washington. He is there until December, when we were ALL (kids and myself) supposed to fly out there to move to Japan. Went as far as selling one of our cars because he was leaving. Since HHG was packed up, and gone, I left Virginia and came back to Jersey to stay with our family.

ONCE he got to WA, he gets a call from the CO out in Japan basically reprimanding him for setting up our shipment and moving all of our stuff and setting our family to move to Japan since the command he is transitioning back to Whidbey in February. He explained that he was unaware that that command is moving back to the states since his orders said VAQ-*** in Atsugi for 3 years......

Since they gave him money out in WA for housing (barracks style, but NOT student barracks)??? they stopped our BAH. The family ISN'T moving to Japan now, but CAN accompany him to WA when that command comes back from Japan. I asked him when he goes to Japan, will they start our BAH again for us back in the states? His answer was (according to PSD) NO because they will be giving him a OHA, and we're not entitled to a seperate BAH based on the fact that his orders say ACCOMPANIED. YET.... we're not going to Japan. And although I am with family, I would ideally like to be contributing to the expenses.

Can they really not provide our housing allowance once he hits Japan, for the next 3 months???? The simple fact that we're used to a specific income and should I transfer my car insurance, there's a difference in the rate for about $200 more a month in NJ than VA.

Any and all input would help. I'm not sure if this should be in Military Moves and Relocation, so mods feel free to move. Please help, because I feel like everything is a mess.

My kids toyboxes are currently in Japan (as our express shipment arrived, and we're nowhere near there) I am disappointed about not going to Japan, as I had really started looking forward to it.

Sorry this is so long. and thanks in advance........

*~*Two Hearts, One Love*~*
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I could be wrong, but if his orders say accompanied and you do not go (whether allowed to or not) he cannot get BAH. He will have to get his orders changed to unaccompanied in order to get the BAH.

Your DH needs to figure it out, as you can really do nothing. It may not be resolved until he gets to Japan.
  3. Senior Member
    Since the CO said your family should not be moving to Japan, he should be able to help with getting the orders changed to unaccompanied. Once that is done, you will be able to get BAH.
  4. Senior Member
    You can get BAH regardless while he's in Japan. People ERD all the time from overseas and still get BAH in the states while their spouse is in baracks. You should be getting BAH NOW if he's in baracks because he has to be (unless you just opted not to move to Washington when you could have). I'm confused how they moved all your stuff anyways and you got screened if the orders was for without dependents.

Sounds like a real mess.
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    You can get BAH regardless while he's in Japan. People ERD all the time from overseas and still get BAH in the states while their spouse is in baracks. You should be getting BAH NOW if he's in baracks because he has to be (unless you just opted not to move to Washington when you could have). I'm confused how they moved all your stuff anyways and you got screened if the orders was for without dependents.

Sounds like a real mess.
    The orders state WITH dependents, she said that in her post. The orders currently say Accompanied, hence why he isn't allowed to get BAH for Japan.

OP, is he not getting BAH in Washington? You should be getting some kind of BAH for the time he's in between (meaning BAH until he gets to Japan). Sounds like he's doing a TDY/class en route and you all should have gone with him to WA, but in any case, he should at least be getting BAH for WA until he gets to Japan which currently will cease and turn into OHA when he gets there. It will stay that way until he gets his orders changed to unaccompanied or something else other than accompanied.
  6. Senior Member
    Holy cow that stinks! As for BAH, yes you should get it regardless. Even when he's in Japan, since you are not allowed to come...he will be authorized BAH for you.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    The orders state WITH dependents, she said that in her post. The orders currently say Accompanied, hence why he isn't allowed to get BAH for Japan.

OP, is he not getting BAH in Washington? You should be getting some kind of BAH for the time he's in between (meaning BAH until he gets to Japan). Sounds like he's doing a TDY/class en route and you all should have gone with him to WA, but in any case, he should at least be getting BAH for WA until he gets to Japan which currently will cease and turn into OHA when he gets there. It will stay that way until he gets his orders changed to unaccompanied or something else other than accompanied.
    If its accompanied they should be able to move though. So he needs to get his orders changed ASAP. If the family isn't allowed to go to Japan they would rate BAH in the states. It's a matter of getting the paperwork in order (as with everything with the military and pay). If his family isn't there he can't legally collect OHA at the with dependent rate and he would rate BAH automatically. That's how it works with the Air Force and OCONUS assignments because OHA doesn't work like BAH where you can try to pay for two households on it.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    since this is such a cluster fuck --- this is what you need to do:

your DH needs to contact the AO ASAP!!

they will not PCS him for 3 months- to help move the ship- this should change to a TAD/TDY and the AO needs to change those orders.

as for the BAH you qualify for the BAH rate - now which one you qualify will depend on where he is technically based out of- if it is WA then the BAH will be for WA, if it is Japan it will be for where you live.
    tell your DH to not deal with any one in finance who is not a 1st class or lower,
    if you need specific regs about this let me know I can pull them from the JFTR
  9. Senior Member
    Since it is a home port change for the entire command, he will still be PCS'ing to that command even though they are moving geographical locations. It won't be TAD/TDY. We dealt with this a few years ago when the ship dh was going to was moving from Japan to San Diego. Fortunately we knew about the change and didn't even attempt to move our family...however, the way the orders were written would have allowed us to do just that.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Agree with the PP. Also, he will not get OHA more than likely. That is for when you live out in town & depending on his rank, he might be required to live in the barracks. But since he will be at a squadron out of Atsugi, he'll go out with the GW likely. So he'll have berthing on the ship when gone from here. And they are gone A LOT! Currently gone right now.
    Follow me on Instagram, if you'd like.

https://instagram.com/mrotsarbed