Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Tricare Prime and eye doctor

1. Regular Member

Tricare Prime and eye doctor

Advertisements
    I have a few questions. I have TriCare Prime and need to visit the eye doctor. I wear contacts, but I also need to get a new pair of glasses with a new prescription.

I am currently living with my parents in California, and the only military base that's nearby is Air Force. DH is Army. Would I still be able to see an eye doctor on the AF base?

My primary care provider was issued to me when I signed up for TriCare, and is not on a base... just a regular doctor that accepts TriCare here in town. I have not been to see that doctor yet. Would I have to get a referral from that doctor to see an eye doctor, or can I go on the AF base?

Also, I understand that the glasses visit is covered, but would have to pay a copay of $20 for a contact lens exam, as well as paying full price for the glasses themselves and contacts.. is this correct?
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

You would need to see an eye doctor that accepts Tricare in town, most MTF do not provide optometry care for dependents. As far as the exam goes, contact exams are not covered at all, just glasses exams. Any costs in conjunction with contacts is paid for by you.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

You can go see the doctor on any military installation yes. I did. You can also go to any civi eye doctor that accepts Tri Care.

You don't need a referral for the eye doctor from a PCP in my experience.

Yes the visit is covered and you have to pay additional for the contact portion plus full price for glasses and contacts. Mine was $25

I find it really silly they don't actually cover the buying of the glasses or contacts. I mean I get not covering both but not even covering one seems odd to me.
  4. Senior Member
    Uhm I am not 100% sure but you should be able to go to the AF base. But two things to remember. If you wear contacts a contacts appointment is not included in your regular yearly exam and Military Docs are not Suppose to do a contacts appointment. So you may need to go out in town for your contacts prescription. Which means it would be better to just go out in town for the whole thing just make sure that where you go accepts Tricare so that your basic eye exam is covered by insurance.

I went on base for my eye exam and then thought I could just go out in town and pay for my contacts appointment. Well after calling around I figured out that I screwed myself by going on base, only because the civilian doctors say they can't do just a contacts appointment they have to do the whole eye exam as well so they want me to pay almost $100 for the whole appointment since my insurance will not cover it at this point this year. So I will have to wait for 12 months to go by, before I can be seen for a contacts appointment unless I want to pay more money. Which I don't.
    ~ Sara ~
  5. Regular Member
    Thanks for the quick replies!

So basically all I need to do is find an eye doctor here in town that accepts TriCare, cool. I believe I've been told that the Walmart near the base does accept it, I guess because it's so close to the base. Will look into it!
  6. Senior Member
    Yep. Find a doctor who takes Tricare. As mentioned they'll only pay for the glasses part of the exam. Contact lens fitting is out of pocket along with glasses and contacts. I usually just pay out of pocket for my eye stuff though. The doctors near me that take Tricare won't give a copy of a prescription without paying more money and it breaks even.
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    We go to Hour Eyes. To my knowledge (as been told to me by Tricare) dependents can't go to optometry on base. Only exams are covered and the lenses for glasses, frames and contacts are at your expense.
  8. Senior Member
    I think it depends on the patient load at each base for optometry. As I have only ever gone to the optometrist on base and that was at three different bases. But as I said in my previous post I personally will be changing to one out in town so I can have my contacts done. OP good luck finding a doctor and getting everything you need.
    ~ Sara ~