Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance for son

1. I will bite your nipples!
    I will bite your nipples!

Insurance for son

Advertisements
    We have a son who will be 21 next June. Not a student, won't be by June either.

With the new insurance laws I was hoping he would be covered for a few more years.

What have you parents done for your children who have aged out of Tricare?
    God called...he wants his judgment back!!!

Never allow someone else's limited vision to limit yours

Don't cry to give up...cry to keep going

2. Banned
    Banned
    you can actually keep him on tricare until he is 26. the fee is about 200 dollars a month-

go to tricare.mil and look for "tricare young adult" he does not need to be in school to qualify.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    you can actually keep him on tricare until he is 26. the fee is about 200 dollars a month-

go to tricare.mil and look for "tricare young adult" he does not need to be in school to qualify.
    With it being $200 a month, I would check into individual insurance for your son OP. My individual insurance with Aetna is $129 a month. It may not be as good of insurance as Tricare, but if he doesn't have many medical problems or doesn't go to the Dr. much it may be worth it.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  4. Senior Member
    When I didn't have insurance for awhile my parents looked into Tricare for me since the age had been extended, but apparently it's a PITA to try to insure an adult age child not in school through them. Thankfully my mom had alternate insurance I could be put on until my work benefits kicked in. If you have other options for him I would look into it, it's probably worth it, if not look into Tricare and see what it takes and how much it is.
  5. I will bite your nipples!
    I will bite your nipples!

Thanx so much ladies.

He has had asthma ALL of his life he will probably be on meds for the rest of his life...inhalers and oral meds.

Wow $200 per month...that hurts

I'm worried about him he's a free spirit (read:he has no idea what he wants to do with his life) and he won't be a fulltime student by June so...

I wonder why Tricare doesn't cover until 26
    God called...he wants his judgment back!!!

Never allow someone else's limited vision to limit yours

Don't cry to give up...cry to keep going

6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EastBound2011 View Post
    Thanx so much ladies.

He has had asthma ALL of his life he will probably be on meds for the rest of his life...inhalers and oral meds.

I'm worried about him he's a free spirit (read:he has no idea what he wants to do with his life) and he won't be a fulltime student by June so...

they DO cover up to 26-- but it is not free- and all other insurance companies charge additional fees for adult dependants over 21.
    just compare- you may be able to find another isurance for cheaper.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EastBound2011 View Post
    Thanx so much ladies.

Just for some encouragement, I've had asthma all of my life, and am on meds, and it didn't seem to affect my insurance rate. My rate started out just about where the chart for a healthy adult said it should be, it has just increased since last year, though insurance does normally increase every year. I would have him fill out an online quote at a few individual insurance companies to price it out.

Does he have insurance now? Insurance companies stress that you have to have no gaps in coverage to be covered fully or they can deny you coverage for some preexisting conditions.
    R.I.P. My Love, Everyone was supposed to come home together, I'm sorry you had to come home early
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Omg, I would KILL for $200/month insurance. I know it sounds expensive, but that's a flippin AMAZING deal considering how good the benefits are.
  9. Senior Member
    I'm on my parents insurance. They have blue cross blue shield, my parents have to pay 240 every month to keep my on their insurance.
  10. Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Meet me underneath the Oklahoma sky
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Omg, I would KILL for $200/month insurance. I know it sounds expensive, but that's a flippin AMAZING deal considering how good the benefits are.
    That was my thoughts!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast