Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Discharge for permanent profile?

1. Senior Member

Discharge for permanent profile?

Advertisements
    I'm friends with my friend's husband on Facebook, he posted this morning "looks like the army is going to start kicking people out for permanent profile, may be looking for a job if I don't heal soon." I know rumors go around all the time, but I have questions about this.

My husband might go on permanent profile for back problems he got when he was deployed. He's been on temporary profile, he's trying to go on permanent profile so he has a doctors appointment like this week or something. His temporary profile just ended last week.

I sort of see why the first guy would be kicked out for it because he hasn't even been enlisted for a year yet and he hasn't deployed. My husband only has a year and two months left and his unit isn't deploying until about six months after his ETS. He isn't reenlisting.

If he were to be discharged, would it be honorable or administrative or general? I'm not sure if this is something that depends, I've been googling it but I know almost nothing about the military so a lot of stuff I find on websites doesn't really make sense to me.

I'm really only concerned about him being able to keep his gi bill. I think I read this morning you can only keep it with an honorable discharge but I can't find anything that states if you're discharged for permanent profile that you'll for sure get one. Any input?
  2. Senior Member
    Should be an honorable discharge. Things happen to people medically all the time, doesn't make them a bad solider/sailor/airman etc. Also if its medically related he should be able to gain VA benefits.

Most the guys on permanent profiles that we know who are still in are Sr NCO's and are higher rated officers. Everyone else they usually medboard. DH's friend had a building fall on him and has been fighting a discharge for 3 years now. He's close to 20 so they said they'd just wait until then.

Good luck!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    Should be an honorable discharge. Things happen to people medically all the time, doesn't make them a bad solider/sailor/airman etc. Also if its medically related he should be able to gain VA benefits.

Most the guys on permanent profiles that we know who are still in are Sr NCO's and are higher rated officers. Everyone else they usually medboard. DH's friend had a building fall on him and has been fighting a discharge for 3 years now. He's close to 20 so they said they'd just wait until then.

Good luck!
    I hope you're right lol. Very helpful thank you!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If the profile is for medical reasons, then yes, it is the equivalent of an honorable discharge.

A recent article did show the army had some 90,000 soldiers who were "unable to deploy" due to a profile. With a total force of just over 550,000 approximately, that is a large chunk of soldiers. Something has to be done and yes, the Army does need to downsize. Does this mean every one of these guys will be separated from the Army? Not necessarily.

It will depend on things like his service record (good soldier or not), what his job code is (can he still do his job but his profile prohibits him from doing other things), and how heavy his MOS is.

My neighbor was just forcibly separated from the Army for his profile. He had some depression issues, some height/weight issues, passing PT test issues, and some long-term profile issues. His discharge was done in 28 days. The family was expecting him to sit in a transition unit for 6-9 months. 28 days later, gone.

The Army is geared up to act, but they are looking at soldiers who aren't currently contributing to their units first. Guys with criminal records, DUIs, domestic violence or alcohol problems, guys who aren't doing their job at work...

If DH has been a good soldier, can do his job, be a productive soldier, he will probably be fine for the remainder of his term. If his profile prevents him from being able to do his job, he may be medically discharged. A medical discharge IS honorable, unless he screws something up along the way. You should be fine for your GI bill access, as long as he has his time in service to have access to it.

Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    Makes sense, thank you!
  6. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    DH is possibly getting medboarded for his profiles he is on. So yea it would definitely be honorable, its nothing illegal or bad that they have done.
    Definitely good info from the previous posters!
  7. Senior Member
    Dh has some issues where the only thing he can't do is run so he has a waiver for that. But he does have back issues that is the reason he can no longer run. We are expecting him to have to get out and it would be honorable discharge (medical discharge) but we plan on fighting for a med retirement since he is pretty (in our eyes) close. I refuse to lose everything if they decide to remove him from the military.