Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base housing and BAH.

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Confused Base housing and BAH.

Advertisements
    SO my husband and I are currently living in base housing (our first round) and I have no idea how the BAH will work. They actually won't be taking all our BAH, we will still get about $400 extra. But will they take the full payment on the 1st paycheck or is it spilt between the two paychecks? Our first payment has already come out for November, and it was the whole thing. Just trying to figure out if that's normal or just to cover the month we've already been here.

Thanks!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    they will take out half on the 15th and the balance on the first but it will look like that take it all on the first - on the LES it will show in the dedecutions section of the LES-
    also note that since BAH is paid in arrears- you will most likely own them an extra month of BAH -
    so you move in in OCT- pay your rent for OCT Nov 1st- you move out OCT 1st a yr later you will not get the BAH NOV 1st because that payment was for the last month you were there.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I'm not sure what you mean that you'll have an extra $400. When you live in housing, you do not get any of the extra BAH, housing takes it all.

As far as when they take it, its as gunsgirl stated...
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean that you'll have an extra $400. When you live in housing, you do not get any of the extra BAH, housing takes it all.

Sometimes if housing is not up to standards you can get money back. Also some housing you pay your own utilities and they give you part of your BAH back to do so.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

the OP is living in San diego- and live in a housing area that is considered "undesirable" because of this- the management has offered an incentive to live there- and in this case it is 400 dollars off the rental rate. which the member then gets to keep in thier checks
  6. Senior Member
    I lived in housing in HI that was only $1700 a month and we got to keep the rest of the BAH. What Gunsgirl said is correct. They will half your "rent" between the 15th & the
    1st.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Well the housing we live in isn't undesirable. It's extremely nice and there are several communities here in SD that don't take all the BAH. Now the city we border isn't all that great, but it isn't terrible either.

Ok, that's what I thought, but just wasn't sure. I'm fairly certain they took all of Oct. BAH because our paycheck is way lower than it just be if it's half on the 1st and then on the 15th...that's why I was confused at first.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    it *should* be..sorry.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaylaC View Post
    Well the housing we live in isn't undesirable. It's extremely nice and there are several communities here in SD that don't take all the BAH. Now the city we border isn't all that great, but it isn't terrible either.

Ok, that's what I thought, but just wasn't sure. I'm fairly certain they took all of Oct. BAH because our paycheck is way lower than it just be if it's half on the 1st and then on the 15th...that's why I was confused at first.
    your housing unit IS CONSIDERED UNDESIREABLE- it does not need to mean they are old and run down.
    but they are in an area that is considered "undesirable" for many different reasons-

"desireable" housing are housing areas like Murphy Canyon
    those that live in MC pay full BAH.
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    So what about Lofgren Terrace and the many others considered to be "desirable"? I get our area isn't the greatest, but that can't be the only reason they don't take full BAH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast