Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH: for those who have experience!

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

BAH: for those who have experience!

Advertisements
    Hello lovelies, I've got a predicament here. =] (And a possibly stupid question to boot!)

My husband has been considering enlisting in the Marine Corps, and we've found ourselves with a couple of questions that my research can't seem to answer.

We have a toddler son, so he has two dependents, and my husband has expressed interest in BAH (and that it sounds too good to be true, haha). If on-base housing is not available, he would ideally like me to live as close to base as possible. On E-1 or E-2 pay, we would be in a similar situation to where we're at now (barely scraping by!). We're going back to talk to the recruiter tomorrow, but I would like to get some information from some folks who have dealt with this first-hand.

So my question is, do service members with dependents automatically qualify for BAH, and it's just a matter of applying for it? What are the circumstances that would lead to rejection of BAH? Husband is interested in enlisting, but if we're going to find ourselves financially unsound, he'd rather know before pursuing further information.

Thanks so much, and I'm sorry if this question has been asked already!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    BAH is automatic for ALL married members- when he enlists he will need to take originals of your birth certifcates, SSN's and marriage license.
    this will get you into the DEERS system and will start both the medical and the BAH
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    BAH is automatic for ALL married members- when he enlists he will need to take originals of your birth certifcates, SSN's and marriage license.
    this will get you into the DEERS system and will start both the medical and the BAH
    Thank you SO much, that puts a lot to ease.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    Yep. He will get BAH on top of his base pay.
  5. Senior Member
    Also since you pointed out that he has 2 dependents, it doesn't matter if it's just you and him married, or if ya'll have 10 kids...the BAH is still going to be the same amount. Just a heads up
  6. Senior Member
    BAH also depends on where you are stationed and his rank.
  7. Senior Member
    BAH Calculator

This will kind of give you an idea of how much BAH you'll be looking at
    I Married My Hero, Best Friend, and Soul Mate 12-27-11
  8. Senior Member
    FYI, depending on his area you may receive COLA, which is based on rank, years of service, and number of dependents.
  9. Happy New Year!
    Happy New Year!
    It's really not "too good to be true" it's just broken up different than in the civilian world. In civilian work, the equivalent to BAH is already calculated into the salary. Because of the military's base-housing option and rank system, it's kept separate - that's why it looks like BAH is something "extra" on top of their pay.

"Missing someone isn't about how long it has been since you've seen them or the amount of time since you've talked.
    It's about that very moment when you find yourself doing something and wishing they were right there by your side."