Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have to do this? Relocating w/ extremely newborn baby & tricare questions

1. Senior Member

Question Anyone else have to do this? Relocating w/ extremely newborn baby & tricare questions

Advertisements
    Anyone here ever had to transfer tricare regions and move within a couple days of giving birth? It's looking like this is going to be the situation for us, as DH is likely staying in the states after our son is born. Because I moved back to Texas during his deployment, we will be moving back up to Bragg within a few days of having the baby (he's to report soon after the birth), which means our son won't be able to get seen down here for his 2 week check up, it will have to be done up at Bragg. How do you go about setting up your child's first well baby appointment in these situations? I'm worried it will be more like a month before he is first seen. Is this going to be a huge issue?

I understand that we will have to transfer tricare regions, however I was told to give them a call to start the process two weeks prior to the move. How the heck do you start the process with a baby who isn't born two weeks in advance and therefore isn't in deers yet? So confused. I'll be calling them in a couple of months in order to hopefully get some answers, just wanted to know if you guys have dealt with this and what kind of input/tips y'all might have. Thanks in advance.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    to switch regions will take 5 minutes.
    I would call and set up a well baby appointment a couple of weeks before your due , explaining to the receptionist the situation.
    as soon as you get there go to your MTF to change regions.

It really should not be an issue at all.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    to switch regions will take 5 minutes.
    I would call and set up a well baby appointment a couple of weeks before your due , explaining to the receptionist the situation.
    as soon as you get there go to your MTF to change regions.

It really should not be an issue at all.
    Yeah, when I switched regions to Tricare south when I moved back to Texas it took literally 5 minutes over the phone, but the paperwork detailing who my primary care physician/MTF would be took a couple of weeks to receive. I guess my concern is whether we can set up that appointment without a primary care physician being assigned yet, seeing that there are several clinics and the main hospital on post and I'm not sure where they would assign us.

Once again, I'm probably really over thinking things when I shouldn't be lol.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrein View Post
    Yeah, when I switched regions to Tricare south when I moved back to Texas it took literally 5 minutes over the phone, but the paperwork detailing who my primary care physician/MTF would be took a couple of weeks to receive. I guess my concern is whether we can set up that appointment without a primary care physician being assigned yet, seeing that there are several clinics and the main hospital on post and I'm not sure where they would assign us.

Once again, I'm probably really over thinking things when I shouldn't be lol.
    . You would be treated like someone from out-of-town being seen in that hospital. They will treat you/do the well baby/well woman check up, it just may be a different doctor from your who your PCP will become.

This happened to me, I had DD at a hospital near my home, then we moved (to APO actually) but I had to see a doctor in VA for the CS documentation, and they just put me in to see any available doctor. Don't stress!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    . You would be treated like someone from out-of-town being seen in that hospital. They will treat you/do the well baby/well woman check up, it just may be a different doctor from your who your PCP will become.

This happened to me, I had DD at a hospital near my home, then we moved (to APO actually) but I had to see a doctor in VA for the CS documentation, and they just put me in to see any available doctor. Don't stress!
    Oh good! See, I don't mind being seen by a different physician, etc., as long as he's able to get his appointment. I'd hate to put his health at risk by not being able to have him seen in a timely manner, especially since he's going to be so little.

Were you out of your Tricare region when you were seen? Did you have to pay anything because of it?

What is "CS" documentation?
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrein View Post
    Oh good! See, I don't mind being seen by a different physician, etc., as long as he's able to get his appointment. I'd hate to put his health at risk by not being able to have him seen in a timely manner, especially since he's going to be so little.

Were you out of your Tricare region when you were seen? Did you have to pay anything because of it?

What is "CS" documentation?
    and I didn't pay anything, because I was relocating to that area.BUT you maybe want to double check that.

CS = Command Sponsorship for overseas
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    and I didn't pay anything, because I was relocating to that area.BUT you maybe want to double check that.

CS = Command Sponsorship for overseas
    awesome, good to know! DH will still be stationed out of Bragg when he comes home, so hopefully this will be the case for us, but I will definitely double check

Thanks for the info!
  8. Regular Member
    I scheduled my DS first doc appointment before he was born. We had moved when I was 7mnths pregnant and tricare was all screwy. They switched my husband and I but not the kids. It wasnt an issue to get either child seen but now that tricare has straightened out the kids regions we have to submit doc bills to them for payment. Bit more of a hassell but no issues getting doctors appointments.
  9. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    What about staying in TX until after his 2 week appt?
  10. Moderator

Ok so this is slightly different, but in essence the same. I had my first at a civilian hospital because I switched to Tricare about a month before he was born and they didn't want to change my ob/gyn that late in pregnancy. So I had all my pre-natal stuff with one set of docs, and then they had me go to the USAFA for DS's post-natal care. They just treated me like I was from out of town, even though I lived there. And then we moved when he was like 4 weeks old, to California. We went to the Tricare office the day we got there and it was switched in like 10 minutes.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast