Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: braces with tricare dental?

1. Bri
    living life with aloha<3
    living life with aloha<3

braces with tricare dental?

Advertisements
    I'm just curious, because I can not find concrete answers anywhere on the web. With tricare dental, will they cover any portion of braces for me? I figured that would be covered under the ortho category, which says they will pay 50% on their website. But then there are eligibility guidelines that I'm not sure I meet? I am 22, turning 23 in June. Anybody have any experience with this?
  2. Moderator

They will only pay part of the cost for orthodontics for spouses through the end of the month in which you turn 23.
  3. Bri
    living life with aloha<3
    living life with aloha<3
    Ack. Another reason for me to dislike the military.
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Ack. Another reason for me to dislike the military.
    It's not just the military, lots of dental insurance is the same way about the cost. And from what I can see online, most only cover up to age 19.
  5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    It's not just the military, lots of dental insurance is the same way about the cost. And from what I can see online, most only cover up to age 19.
    :yep...my step MIL tried to get hers at 26 through FIL's employment (pretty decent insurance) and her own insurance through her employment and they have a limit like at 22 or something.
    Banned
    You are lucky they cover it at all. They never used to since it was considered cosmetic, unless it was need based for jaw issues/oral issues.
  7. Lauralicious
    Lauralicious
    Blog Entries
    I think they do cover like some percent, I think for me it covered 1500 or so.
    Distance Divas

8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    tricare will only pay $1500 no more than that, so its not 50% at all.. its $1500 and that's it. And yes on the until 23 part, you have until the end of the month that you turn 23 to get them.
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    tricare will only pay $1500 no more than that, so its not 50% at all.. its $1500 and that's it. And yes on the until 23 part, you have until the end of the month that you turn 23 to get them.
    Unless you are overseas, then in some cases they will pay 50% for orthodontic care.
    TRICARE DENTAL PROGRAM - UNITED CONCORDIA - ENROLLEES - OVERSEAS DENTAL CARE - OVERSEAS COSTS

My son had to get braces when we lived in Korea and Tricare paid 50%, the total cost for the braces was $5K and we paid $2500 + $500 for his palatal expansion that was not covered. We could have gotten the palatal expansion on base at no cost but the wait time was too long, somewhere around 6 months, and the dentists/orthodontists off base could get it installed within a couple weeks after the first appointment.
  10. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Navgirl View Post
    Unless you are overseas, then in some cases they will pay 50% for orthodontic care.
    TRICARE DENTAL PROGRAM - UNITED CONCORDIA - ENROLLEES - OVERSEAS DENTAL CARE - OVERSEAS COSTS

My son had to get braces when we lived in Korea and Tricare paid 50%, the total cost for the braces was $5K and we paid $2500 + $500 for his palatal expansion that was not covered. We could have gotten the palatal expansion on base at no cost but the wait time was too long, somewhere around 6 months, and the dentists/orthodontists off base could get it installed within a couple weeks after the first appointment.
    woohhoo! i can get the kids done here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast