Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military id?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Military id?

Advertisements
    I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I have only been an army wife for a week so I still do not know alot. Does an army wife get a military id too? I heard that they do. Also if I do can it be used as a passport? I have heard different things about this. Thanks.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleA View Post
    I hope I'm asking this in the right place. I have only been an army wife for a week so I still do not know alot. Does an army wife get a military id too? I heard that they do. Also if I do can it be used as a passport? I have heard different things about this. Thanks.
    Yes, as a military spouse your husband needs to enroll you in DEERS where you will get your military ID. This ID will also serve as your insurance card for Tricare.

No, your military ID cannot be used as a passport.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yes you need a military id. It is not only used to get on base but got tricare.
    And I have never heard of it being used as a passport, I doubt it can be used as one
  4. Senior Member
    You will get a dependent ID which will allow you to get on any US base anywhere. It can not be used as a passport, but it is used to prove that you are able to live in a different country when stationed overseas (along with your husbands orders and your no fee military passport which you get when you are moving overseas)
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yes, you need a military ID, and no it cannot be used as a passport.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Ok thanks, I was only wondering because my husband is in South Korea and he may be paying for me to get there soon.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Ok thanks, I was only wondering because my husband is in South Korea and he may be paying for me to get there soon.
    Just be aware that unless you have command sponsorship, everything will be coming out of pocket to pay to get you there and while your there. Its possible, but pretty expensive to go over non-command sponsored.

You will have to get a reg. passport and figure out what kind of visa you need to enter the country.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Just be aware that unless you have command sponsorship, everything will be coming out of pocket to pay to get you there and while your there. Its possible, but pretty expensive to go over non-command sponsored.

You will have to get a reg. passport and figure out what kind of visa you need to enter the country.
    Ditto!

A regular passport can take 2-6 weeks to get, so get one now if you haven't already started.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yeah we know about all that. I just got to wait til next week to try to get a passport because someone told him that he has to ask for permission for me to go there even if he pays for me to go.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yeah we know about all that. I just got to wait til next week to try to get a passport because someone told him that he has to ask for permission for me to go there even if he pays for me to go.
    Does he currently live on or off base?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast