Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: If the new retirement plan goes through ...

1. Junior Member

If the new retirement plan goes through ...

Advertisements
    I have a question, and just wanted some thoughts on it - as no one here will have an answer since it's hypothetical.

If the new retirement plane goes through, and they grandfather in current troops with time in service, do you think they would grandfather those who are not in now but will be back in at a future date? Weird question I know, but my husband is in a weird situation. He was in the AF for 10 years, well just 3 days shy of 10 years. He was awarded an ASCP scholarship which allowed him to separate to do AFROTC for 2 years (he still had 4 years of his enlistment left). The day after he separated he contracted with ROTC, so he basically owes them 4 years when he commissions next year. (he would also still owe them 4 years enlisted if he does not commission for any reason). So based on this, do you think he would be grandfathered in? We're worrying that if this retirement thing passes then he will get screwed, after all, he left his E postion and contracted with AFROTC with the idea that he would get retirement after 20.

Also - does this thing have to be passed before October for it to be in the 2012 budget?
  2. Senior Member
    I think that if he contracted to retire at 20, he would still be grandfathered in. At least that would be my guess. And I have no clue about the budget. They are doing another presentation in the coming weeks so I don't think we will have a decision in time for it to be in the budget. That's just based on what I've been reading though.
    No more countdown! He's home!!

"We don't cry because we are weak, but because we have been strong for too long"
  3. Senior Member
    It's been made clear by Leon Panetta that they will not be chancing the retirement plan for anyone currently in the service. And any change for newcomers isn't happening anytime soon, so I don't think your husband needs to worry.

Since it is all just spitballing right now, no one know how weird situations like yours might work, but my guess would be that since he made the commitment (because he already owes time, so it was a commitment) before any changes were made, that he'd be under the current system. But as I said, that's a guess, and nobody knows the details, since there isn't a formal plan just yet.
  4. Junior Member
    We were thinking that too ... it just doesn't seem right that if the changes happen before May next year that they don't grandfather him in (assuming they are going to grandfather current troops in).
  5. Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    Yes I miss Spell Words and my Grammar Sucks.... Get over it.
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It's been made clear by Leon Panetta that they will not be chancing the retirement plan for anyone currently in the service. And any change for newcomers isn't happening anytime soon, so I don't think your husband needs to worry.

Since it is all just spitballing right now, no one know how weird situations like yours might work, but my guess would be that since he made the commitment (because he already owes time, so it was a commitment) before any changes were made, that he'd be under the current system. But as I said, that's a guess, and nobody knows the details, since there isn't a formal plan just yet.
    This

I Try to be Nicer, when you Try to be Smarter.
  6. Senior Member
    Technically its not up to Panetta though. But its definitely not something that's going to be passed in the next year either.