Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dependents Question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Dependents Question

Advertisements
    So, DF and I are getting married next year after he gets back from A School. We are then hoping/planning on taking custody of his cousins who will then be 15 and 18. Will we get more money for having legal custody of the younger one? I understand that the older one will be an adult, so that is a different story. We will be taking them in either way, but just trying to plan ahead.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorJacksWife View Post
    So, DF and I are getting married next year after he gets back from A School. We are then hoping/planning on taking custody of his cousins who will then be 15 and 18. Will we get more money for having legal custody of the younger one? I understand that the older one will be an adult, so that is a different story. We will be taking them in either way, but just trying to plan ahead.
    Nope, the increase in pay is based on whether he has dependents or not. He will get dependent rates by just being married to you, having "kids" and the number of kids doesn't change anything.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Nope, the increase in pay is based on whether he has dependents or not. He will get dependent rates by just being married to you, having "kids" and the number of kids doesn't change anything.
    ditto....i think they used to pay based on kids but they did away with that.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post

Thanks! It was kind of unclear on the Navy website I usually go to.
  5. Senior Member
    Yep, no extra money (unless its through COLA and you are overseas). Depending on how you get custody you may or may not be able to get Tricare and other benefits though that way.
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Just a question, considering the 18 yr old is considered an "adult" CAN you get custody of him?

To answer your question though, he won't get any extra "pay", he will get dependent rate BAH

7. Banned
    Banned
    No extra pay only bigger housing anyes you can get custody of an 18 y/o as long as they are full time students