Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Montgomery GI Bill Question

1. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Question Montgomery GI Bill Question

Advertisements
    So this is DH's first semester back in school since he joined the Army (Reserve) and he has applied and been accepted for his MGIB.

He started school on Monday.

I was just wondering if anyone is aware of how soon after classes started that he was to expect his first check from that? Does it normally come on the same payout schedule as when he works where it will come out either one of those dates. (1st & 15th) Or is it completely arbitrary?

The VA lady at the school is the most clueless individual ever and all she says is that after she submits the final paperwork then he will start his end of the month check ins starting in Sept. (which doesn't even come close to answering the question she was ask).

So just curious if any of you gals have experience with it! Thanks!
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Its somewhat random. They give only the amount it would cost for tuition, and normally you have to pay the tuition/books/ whatever first and then the check will come, but in some cases it can happen the the GIB check comes first, but i've never witnessed it. They only give out money per class.

It could also be that they wait to make sure he passes the class before issuing a check. Because if he fails, the VA will want their money back, or reimbursement. There is no 'extra' money, meaning unlike BAh or other programs where you get a set amount whether you use it all or not, GIB is based on the amount of tuition and that's it. It doesn't cover the cost of books or supplies.

Have no idea if that helps or not. But, in the end, for my husband, he usually got his GIB check about 6-8 weeks after class started.
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    The Post 9/11 GIB is different as that includes BAH, what I posted was based on the Montgomery GIB.
  4. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Its somewhat random. They give only the amount it would cost for tuition, and normally you have to pay the tuition/books/ whatever first and then the check will come, but in some cases it can happen the the GIB check comes first, but i've never witnessed it. They only give out money per class.

It could also be that they wait to make sure he passes the class before issuing a check. Because if he fails, the VA will want their money back, or reimbursement. There is no 'extra' money, meaning unlike BAh or other programs where you get a set amount whether you use it all or not, GIB is based on the amount of tuition and that's it. It doesn't cover the cost of books or supplies.

Have no idea if that helps or not. But, in the end, for my husband, he usually got his GIB check about 6-8 weeks after class started.
    See and this is where I am confused.

Because he gets TA (tuition assistance) which pays for all the costs of his classes (and only his classes) and that pays him at the end of the semester after he has passed everything (much like you have described). For now his federal aide grant has paid his tuition.

But his MGIB is supposed to pay him $200/month according to his grade plus an additional $300/month because of a kicker he got when he signed up (it was offered since a signing bonus wasn't) and that is supposed to go to IDK what housing I think?

I know it's different than Post911/GI which gives full BAH. But I am so lost because they sound like TA & MGIB are the same thing but they aren't

Poor preggers is so lost
  5. Banned
    Banned
    if he is using TA- he really should not be using the MGIB- he is wasting money big time-

who told him to use both at the same time?
  6. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if he is using TA- he really should not be using the MGIB- he is wasting money big time-

who told him to use both at the same time?
    His VA at the school, the Va center the next town over and the women he talked to at the education center at Fort. Lewis when he called.

He was told to use both because his MGIB is giving him money every month something his TA doesn't do. Plus his TA is retroactive and doesn't pay his school until the end of the semester after he completes?
  7. Regular Member
    my husband would usually get paid at the end of the month but the initial month did take quite a while. Usually like 6-8 weeks. Don't be surprised if the VA messes up his paperwork so make sure to check over everything.
  8. I Will Rise Above
    I Will Rise Above

Quote Originally Posted by hitonallsixes View Post
    my husband would usually get paid at the end of the month but the initial month did take quite a while. Usually like 6-8 weeks. Don't be surprised if the VA messes up his paperwork so make sure to check over everything.
    Good to know.