Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance

1. Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!

Health Insurance

Advertisements
    I've seen some bits and pieces to what I'm looking for on this forum, but I haven't been able to put it all together. I guess I'm a bit dim today! But, I have a few questions about getting my health insurance all set up after the wedding.

Normally I would ask DF to look into it, but he's scheduled 12 hrs a day for 2 weeks straight so I don't want to add anything to his plated & he always seems to get things mixed up anyways - so I feel like you girls are more reliable!

So, here's the deal. DF and I are getting married and a week or so after, when he arrives back in Japan we are applying for command sponsorship.

I know that this involves medical exams and clearances, and my question is how quickly can I be enrolled in the healthcare after we marry so that i am able to pay for these exams? What do we have to do? I saw something in a sticky about some site where DF will put in my info?

And is there anything else relating to this I should know? I feel completely oblivious, despite my attempts at research!

Also, not exactly meant for this section - but, is it possible for me to get any medical exams done ahead of time?

Thanks in advance for anyone who shares! I know you ladies spend a lot of time dishing out info, and it's greatly appreciated!

A picture paints a thousand words, it's true.
    But it's still not enough for how I feel about you.
  2. Senior Member
    Prime it depends on when you enroll. If you enroll before the 20th it is effective on the 1st of the following month. Standard is good as soon as you're in DEERS and can be backpaid also.

You can get up to date on things (like your pap, physical etc) beforehand. But the dental and medical clearance will have to be done once you're a dependent.
  3. Senior Member
    You go automatically on tricare standard once you are enrolled into deers (and that happens as soon as you have the proper paperwork needed and you and he go do it (call in advance (even before you marry if need be) to the base you will be going to do that at).

If you choose to wait to go on prime that is about a month after you switch in which you will still be on standard. On Standard you go to a dr that is in the tricare network and pay a co-pay. If you wait for prime than you have no copay but will have to wait a month to use prime and than you have to wait til the base (if one is close) can fit you in. Your dental clearance will still be out of pocket unless you also are on united concordia but not sure how that works with clearances.
  4. Senior Member
    Prime will not be in effect until the first of the following month if you get the form in by the 17th of the month. You will also need to go through the military for your overseas screening. Make the appointment as soon as you can because it can take a few weeks-month depending on how backed up they are.

If you have a current physical and pap, take your medical records with you and the doctor on base can sign off on all of your paperwork. I just had my dentist sign the paper since I saw him 8 months before. We didn't want to pay for dental insurance when we were moving overseas 4 months later.

5. Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    You go automatically on tricare standard once you are enrolled into deers (and that happens as soon as you have the proper paperwork needed and you and he go do it (call in advance (even before you marry if need be) to the base you will be going to do that at).

If you choose to wait to go on prime that is about a month after you switch in which you will still be on standard. On Standard you go to a dr that is in the tricare network and pay a co-pay. If you wait for prime than you have no copay but will have to wait a month to use prime and than you have to wait til the base (if one is close) can fit you in. Your dental clearance will still be out of pocket unless you also are on united concordia but not sure how that works with clearances.
    We're getting married on the base his brother is stationed at in Oklahoma. Do you know if we could do paperwork and enroll me into DEERs there, even though it's not DF's base?

What I'm getting from what you said about Tricare is that I can do it immediately after I am enrolled in DEERS, but I'll have to pay a co-pay and dental will be all on me? Is it generally hard to find doctors in the tricare network?

6. Senior Member
    And your DF can probably bring the papers home with him and take them back with him. Makes things a little easier. DH was in Japan right after we got married and we had to scan everything back and fourth.

7. You are here.
    You are here.
    you can enroll at any base so yes you can enroll at that base in oklahoma.

as for dental there is United concordia, who the military has doing their dental insurance for depentents. I can't remember the enrollment cut off date for each month. its better than no dental insurance honestly.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by michelephantx View Post
    We're getting married on the base his brother is stationed at in Oklahoma. Do you know if we could do paperwork and enroll me into DEERs there, even though it's not DF's base?

What I'm getting from what you said about Tricare is that I can do it immediately after I am enrolled in DEERS, but I'll have to pay a co-pay and dental will be all on me? Is it generally hard to find doctors in the tricare network?
    You can enroll in deers at any military base. You need to get your ID too.

Dental insurance is seperate from tricare- it is through united concordia. I think it's like $50 a month or something like that. You will be assigned a doctor if you go to prime. With standard, since there was a military base an hour away from me I would have had to go to the MTF there.

9. Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Quote Originally Posted by His[♥]Love View Post
    Prime will not be in effect until the first of the following month if you get the form in by the 17th of the month. You will also need to go through the military for your overseas screening. Make the appointment as soon as you can because it can take a few weeks-month depending on how backed up they are.

If you have a current physical and pap, take your medical records with you and the doctor on base can sign off on all of your paperwork. I just had my dentist sign the paper since I saw him 8 months before. We didn't want to pay for dental insurance when we were moving overseas 4 months later.
    Am I able to make an appt for an overseas screening before we're married? And can I take the current records to any base? Like I said, DF's base is in Japan - so his is not an option!

Thank you guys for your responses, I'm feeling better already!

10. Wife to Debra; Twinzie to Manderz; Text Buddy to Cara*Bear!
    Quote Originally Posted by His[♥]Love View Post
    And your DF can probably bring the papers home with him and take them back with him. Makes things a little easier. DH was in Japan right after we got married and we had to scan everything back and fourth.
    Which papers are you talking about?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast