Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marriage counseling vs. Family counseling...?

1. Mommy2Dakota
    Mommy2Dakota
    Me: Long Island, NY Him: MK A School Yorktown, VA

Help Marriage counseling vs. Family counseling...?

Advertisements
    So I just typed all of this and it was deleted so if I'm brief it's because I'm tired of typing
    So DH and I are supposed to go to marriage counseling on Wednesday and I called Health net federal services (better known as Tricare North) and I had found our provider on HNFS.net. She is found under marriage counseling/family counseling. When I spoke to the representative this morning from Tricare, he stated this to me, which is also on the website...

"Family therapy is different than marriage counseling. Family therapy is considered outpatient psychotherapy, and is a TRICARE benefit when determined to be medically or psychologically necessary for treatment of a diagnosed behavioral health disorder. Family therapy may involve all or a portion of the family. The family generally includes the husband or wife of the patient with the behavioral health disorder, his/her children or, in the case of a child patient, the parents, stepparents, guardians and siblings. When it is*appropriate, other family members*living in the same household could also be included.*

Outpatient therapy is limited to a maximum of two sessions per week in any combination of individual, family, or collateral sessions. Family therapy is considered under the initial eight self-referred outpatient behavioral visits. All visits beyond the initial eight require prior authorization from Health Net. Note: Behavioral health services rendered by a Physician Assistant (PA) are not covered under TRICARE.*

Cost Information

Note:*Except for services authorized under Military OneSource, active duty service members must have a referral from their primary care manager for all civilian behavioral health services prior to*receiving services from a TRICARE-authorized provider."

My question is, how can I get around this? The counselor is going to have to diagnose someone with something and the problem is with my DH who is active duty. I don't want anything to affect him on his record. To know more about the situation, refer to my thread in Venting called "trouble in paradise..." and there has been more trouble since. Hes been lying about really petty things and drinking more than usual and he just won't talk to me even when I try to have a heart-to-heart with him.
    Any and all help/ information on the matter is appreciated! TIA!

2. Member
    Have you tried going through militaryonesource? You get I think 12 sessions per year for free, you just call and they set you up with a counselor, no one needs to be diagnosed with anything to do it. Good luck!
  3. Senior Member
    when i called tricare about marriage counseling, they just told me that marriage counseling isn't covered under them and i would be paying for it myself.. family counseling was covered though. i was very confused though, i don't have kids so hearing "family counseling" made me think i could only do it if i had children or a bigger 'family' to be in therapy. but i talked with a tricare counselor over the phone and she told me i could do family counseling anyways, or do the marriage counseling and pay for it.. or go to counseling for myself and talk with the therapist at the first session and say you want your husband to sit in on the sessions too, and it will be billed as individual counseling even though your SO is there too, its only billed as individual

mil one source is a good option too, i wanted to go more often than the allowed 12 sessions a year though

what about talking to a chaplain or a minister if you guys are religious?

4. Mommy2Dakota
    Mommy2Dakota
    Me: Long Island, NY Him: MK A School Yorktown, VA
    I actually called military onesource and they referred me to FOH ( www.FOH4you.com or 1-800-222-0364). They work with the Coast Guard! They were Soooo nice and really quick. They told me everything remains confidential as long as there is no abuse, which there never has been.
    They work with a TON of providers so they had a Huge list of counselors close by and they even transferred me to them to set up an appointment! They also offered for me to speak to their counselor over the phone, which they do to everyone, but I refused. We have an appointment for Friday and I'm so ready to air everything out. Hopefully he won't feel the need to lie anymore!

5. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    I hope it all works out for you! Good luck.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber