Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can army husband go to civilian dentist

1. Taking things one day at a time
    Taking things one day at a time

Can army husband go to civilian dentist

Advertisements
    So DH is in Army and I've heard lots of sketchy/bad things about Army dentists. Before he deployed they said he would need his widsom teeth out and they have been giving him problems lately. Can he go to a civilian dentist and have Tricare cover it? I would feel better if I could have him go to a civilian dentist for something big like having him get his wisdom teeth out.
  2. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I believe he would have to pay out of pocket if he went to a civilian dentist. Unless he got a referral from the dentist on post.

We had a similar issue with my DH and a root canal, he couldn't get a referral but we did get X-rays from the civilian dentist that he took to the dentist on post and that seemed to help. But we did pay out of pocket for that appointment.
  3. Senior Member
    When I got my wisdom teeth out last month, there were lots of Army guys in there doing the same thing
    Not sure how the payment part of it goes, though.
  4. Senior Member
    They technically don't have dental coverage since dental is through United Concordia. DH has always had to be seen on base even if he wanted to go off. He also gets hounded until he makes an appointment. It may depend on his career field (DH needed special permission for medications etc). I would just have him ask. Some places will refer out though if they don't have space. DH saw an actual oral surgeon on base and was sedated so I don't think it was any different than had he gone off base.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

He would need to get a referral, and there will be out of pocket costs. You are going to hear bad things about all professions, military or civilian. Just because you have heard that about Army Dentists, does not mean that all military dentists (Army or whatever), should be stereotyped like that KWIM

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyKay View Post
    He would need to get a referral, and there will be out of pocket costs. You are going to hear bad things about all professions, military or civilian. Just because you have heard that about Army Dentists, does not mean that all military dentists (Army or whatever), should be stereotyped like that KWIM
    I agree 100%. I would only be worried if they said a general dentist wanted to pull them. I've thought most the military doctors I've seen were pretty decent... even the dentist (and I hate dentists).
  7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I've actually heard great things about military dentist. The ones here actually personally called my friend to check up on her after she had big work down at 36 weeks pregnant.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. wishin
    wishin
    Military dentist, had to take the same test as civil. (even though they get the exam $10 cheaper... boo) haha (so not the right icon sorry) I wouldn't really worry about it.
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.
  9. Senior Member
    I will let you know that my old civilian dentist was former Navy dentist, some for his wife and his brother.

Life is a great big canvas, throw all the paint you can at it~ Danny Kaye
  10. wishin
    wishin
    One more thing to add... Everyone tells you the bad.. "when i went to the dentist last week he did such a bad job i was in pain, I was there for hours bleeding..... blah blah blah" But if i said.. "I went to the dentist last week and he did great no pain" You remember the bad vs the good when it comes to word of mouth
    Sometimes the smallest things take up the biggest space in your heart.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast