Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Okay... Is He Serious??

1. Senior Member

Okay... Is He Serious??

Advertisements
    So, DH finally receives all of my paperwork for DEERS, etc. we are recently wed and I get a call from him about DEERS, and BAH. Now, I've been reading and looking over the info on this very thread with a fine tooth comb and someone isn't getting their info correct. (probably his platoon Sgt.) DH is stationed at Goodfellow in TX. Per military, and obviously not by choice, therefore since I don't live in TX, his platoon Sgt. says we wouldn't get separation pay. I'm pretty sure I read that it includes AIT because it's over 30 days, and he's still got 3 months left on top of the 4 he's completed.

His platoon Sgt. also said that even though I live in SC, we would get TX pay because that's where DH is station. From reading the threads, I was informed that no, it would be based on where I am currently living. Get this- he tells my DH that he'd need a lease. Of course I read here that they may need one and of course I can provide it if necessary, but the guy says it has to be a REAL one? ummm... okay? I pay my room mate to stay here...you can get leases online or at office stores apparently lol. Oh, and it can't be a P O Box, it has to be a REAL address. This platoon Sgt. of his apparently has to give DH a piece of paper to take with him to give to the finance department so I need to do all of these things or else. I'm really confused and I'm just trying to figure out who to believe here? I explained to DH that on this forum, so many women live this all out and therefore you guys would know far more. However, DH likes to believe that because his Sgt. has been in the military far longer than we've both been born, that he knows what he's talking about. So confused! Ladies, please set me straight!
  2. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    DH is in the Navy, so it may be slightly different... but we went to have the paperwork done and all I had to do was give them my zipcode and they automatically gave me the BAH for where I live. Also, they gave us separation pay automatically... He is in training school and has been since May 20, so it seems to have been even less time than yours. I don't know why that would not qualify for seperation pay! also, they back-paid us for the time that it took for the paper work to be done (ex: we had the paper work done July 4th weekend, but we were married june 18. They paid us for June 18-July4 separation pay and his increase in pay with his first pay check in addition to what it already should have been.)
    I'm sorry they are being so difficult to you! Hopefully the next person you speak to knows a little bit more about what they're talking about!

3. Banned
    Banned
    the sep pay you will get since the military will not amend his orders for you to PCS -

the BAH however will be for where he is stationed- if he PCSed to the school location- meaning he is not attached to any base- the BAH will be for where HE is not where you are- even tho you cannot move to be with him.
    this is one of those exceptions to the BAH rule-
    ** adding in I see he is stationed at goodfellow- that is where the BAH will be for- not for where you live.

they can require legal lease- this will need to be filled out and signed by both parties. and yes your legal address has to be a house numbered address.
    you can still get the mail at the PO box but you have to have a physical address on the lease.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by I_love_mysailor View Post
    DH is in the Navy, so it may be slightly different... but we went to have the paperwork done and all I had to do was give them my zipcode and they automatically gave me the BAH for where I live. Also, they gave us separation pay automatically... He is in training school and has been since May 20, so it seems to have been even less time than yours. I don't know why that would not qualify for seperation pay! also, they back-paid us for the time that it took for the paper work to be done (ex: we had the paper work done July 4th weekend, but we were married june 18. They paid us for June 18-July4 separation pay and his increase in pay with his first pay check in addition to what it already should have been.)
    I'm sorry they are being so difficult to you! Hopefully the next person you speak to knows a little bit more about what they're talking about!
    This to me sounds more correct. It could be possibly because DH and I were married after he left but I don't see why this would matter as not everyone can actually move to accommodate a DB or DF in basic. Why would I move to TX knowing that at the time I couldn't even get on base? BAH with dependents to be would make sense for BAH. So if he goes to Japan and I lived in Cali we'd get BAH based on Japan's pay? Yeah right lol.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by armygf1985 View Post
    This to me sounds more correct. It could be possibly because DH and I were married after he left but I don't see why this would matter as not everyone can actually move to accommodate a DB or DF in basic. Why would I move to TX knowing that at the time I couldn't even get on base? BAH with dependents to be would make sense for BAH. So if he goes to Japan and I lived in Cali we'd get BAH based on Japan's pay? Yeah right lol.
    if he gets stationed in Japan and it is accompanied and you decided not to go- you would not get BAH at all- he would qualify for OHA to live out in town or he would live on base for free
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    if he gets stationed in Japan and it is accompanied and you decided not to go- you would not get BAH at all- he would qualify for OHA to live out in town or he would live on base for free
    Well isn't this the same? At the time we weren't married, so it wasn't like I was really allowed to accompany him. Yeah, I could get a place off base but it would obviously be on my own dime. I'm calling the finance office to get it from the horses mouth.
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    Quote Originally Posted by armygf1985 View Post
    haha yes, that sounds crazy! They gave my BAH to me for Alabama (where I am) instead of Chicago. & DH and I weren't married when he left either, so I don't think it should have any affect on it at all. They don't even allow us to move to be with them during basic or any short training, so technically speaking that is WHY your BAH should be where you are and the very reason separation pay should be given to you.

8. Senior Member
    So, I got off the phone with the finance office at Goodfellow, they are an AF base but they said army is close, finally they let me speak to someone in the army finance office who was in another company so she has to ask someone else and then have them call me back. I was told we would NOT receive separation pay because I had/have a choice to move to TX if I want. (there would be no point with 2 months left, but okay.) Also, I've been told by 3 people there already that it would be BAH of SC and not TX but again, I'll wait until someone who knows exactly what's going on to call me. Ugh!
  9. Senior Member
    His AIT is 7 months long? Was it considered a PCS?
  10. Senior Member
    The BAH thing might be hard. Normally the BAH would be for where you live since spouses don't usually go where their spouse is at for AIT. BUT since when it is 20 weeks or more the spouse can go by military order it is as if he is choosing not to have you go (although 3 more months isn't 20 weeks so you can't go lol).

All in all, I THINK because it is AIT you should get bah for where you are as that is what is normal from what I have heard (bah for where the spouse is for basic & tech/ait).
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast