Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing waiting list

1. Regular Member

Bang Head Housing waiting list

Advertisements
    How do I get on the housing waiting list?? I thought I was enrolled but I now I'm not so sure.And what's the deal with BAH how do I get it and how long does it take? We have been married since March, but he was in student status at the time, so do I still get back pay for those months after we got married?
    -Rose
  2. Senior Member
    You will get BAH back pay from the day you were married. Are you enrolled in DEERS?

The way the housing list works varies by base.
  3. Regular Member
    Yes my hubby enrolled us( me and our son) in DEERs I believe a week ago. We had gone to the office while he was in student status but turns out I was not in the system so he just did it!! The military is like a waiting, guessing game. How are you supposed to know all this information do they teach you?
    -Rose
  4. Regular Member
    Oh and I forgot to ask how do u calculate how much BAH we will receive?
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Depends on his Rate I think.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    He needs to go to finance and let them know he is to get BAH w/dependents.
    BAH is based on his rank and where you live. Here is the 2011 BAH rates: http://images.military.com//ContentF...dependents.pdf
  7. Regular Member

Jump for Joy Ty

Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    He needs to go to finance and let them know he is to get BAH w/dependents.
    BAH is based on his rank and where you live. Here is the 2011 BAH rates: http://images.military.com//ContentF...dependents.pdf
    Thankyou for posting that link that information was very helpful!! I will tell him to visit Finance aSAp
  8. Banned
    Banned
    you cannot get on the wait list for housing until you are in the system- once in the system your DH will go in and put his name on the list - he will need a copy of his orders.

the BAH will be back dated to the date of marriage.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPWIFE28 View Post
    Yes my hubby enrolled us( me and our son) in DEERs I believe a week ago. We had gone to the office while he was in student status but turns out I was not in the system so he just did it!! The military is like a waiting, guessing game. How are you supposed to know all this information do they teach you?
    -Rose
    You will qualify for the BAH and anything else that goes up for dependents as of the date you married. However, he has to notify PSD (or whatever it is called in his branch) of the change, and it can take a while for the pay to actually start showing up. But when it does, you'll get back pay. SO if it takes 2 months for him to notify them and then the pay change to take effect, your next check will have 2 months worth of BAH in addition to the regular pay amount.

He will get on the wait list (not you) once he tells the military that he has a spouse and once he lets the housing office know to add him. They have no way of magically knowing he wants a base house until he goes in and tells them, so it does not happen automatically. It's his job to stay on top of these things because no one is going to hold his hand through it, so he need to make sure he understands the process (and ask questions when he doesn't) and that he follows up as necessary to make sure nothing has fallen through the cracks.

They don't teach you anything, since you the civilian, but your DH should know much of this, and if he doesn't he can either ask his friends who have done it or ask his boss for guidance. If you aren't getting info, press your DH to find it out and let you know.
  10. Regular Member

Smile Ty

Thank you for all that information. My hubby is working on that as we speak hopefully he can figure it all out soon. My friend who's husband is a Marine told me once the wives get on base they take classes to learn all this stuff!! So I'll look into that.
    -Rose
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast