Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Prime and Birth Control

1. Regular Member

Tricare Prime and Birth Control

Advertisements
    So I am a new army wife and am about to join my husband at his duty station. I heard that you have to get the generic if there is one for your birth control. Is this true? I tried the generic of mine (Yaz) and it completely messed up my period for months and I really don't want to have to go through that again.
  2. Senior Member
    I personally have never had to get the generic while being on Prime and getting my prescription at the MTF Pharmacy. If you do have to get the generic for some reason you should speak with your PCM and let them know of the problems that you have had with the generic version of your prescription. They will be able to write a medically necessity prescription that you have to have the name brand version.
    ~ Sara ~
  3. Senior Member
    I can't say for sure since I have never gone through it, but most drs will write the script for the generic as it saves the person/insurance/state(whomever) money. But if you need the non generic you can talk to them about it and have the script written for the name brand.
  4. Senior Member
    If you liked yaz I would go for Beyaz.. It's the exact same thing as yaz except it has folic acid (a B vitamin) in it. It also has a voucher card that allows you to get it for $25 a month if your insurance won't cover the price. I would talk to your OBGYN about switching
  5. Senior Member
    No, I had brand name birth control while on Tricare Prime. Just make sure you mention it to your doctor and they shouldn't give you any trouble.
  6. Senior Member
    As PP, you just need to explain why you need name brand and they will put "do not substitute" on the script

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    I can't say for sure since I have never gone through it, but most drs will write the script for the generic as it saves the person/insurance/state(whomever) money. But if you need the non generic you can talk to them about it and have the script written for the name brand.
    Pharmacists actually get more money if they switch the medication to a generic (majority of the pharmacists never ask if they can). And generic BC only has to 80% equivilant to the branded name product, which means you may not get the same amount of hormones each month, which can give you terrible side effects.

Pharmacists shouldn't switch your BC to a generic without asking your permission. You have the right to ask for the branded name product. doctors would prefer that you use the branded name because there are less side effects. Also Yaz's generic (gianvi) can actually cost just as much as the brand name which if you ask me if ridiculous.
  8. Regular Member
    When I was taking BC I was on Yaz. At one hospital (Keesler Medical Center) they gave me name brand, then when I PCS'd to MCAS Cherry Point they gave me a generic. But, like others said, I'm sure if you told your doc your issues they'd write a script for name brand only.
  9. Senior Member
    Tell your doctor you want the brand name
    They just write the generic if you don't say otherwise since generic prescriptions are cheaper to manufacture and review before they're put on the market. The co-pay for brand name prescriptions is usually higher than generic, too. Also, some insurance companies only cover the generic.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklefarkle View Post
    Pharmacists actually get more money if they switch the medication to a generic (majority of the pharmacists never ask if they can). And generic BC only has to 80% equivilant to the branded name product, which means you may not get the same amount of hormones each month, which can give you terrible side effects.

Pharmacists shouldn't switch your BC to a generic without asking your permission. You have the right to ask for the branded name product. doctors would prefer that you use the branded name because there are less side effects. Also Yaz's generic (gianvi) can actually cost just as much as the brand name which if you ask me if ridiculous.
    I've never heard any of this before. Do you have sources I could read?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast