Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricare Reserve Select, Infertility

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Tricare reserve select Injectables..

Advertisements
    I am a very new army wife. Been ttc 5 years but my DH just got enlisted with Army reserves.. I have done so much research about infertility with tricare, and that injections are covered as long as you agree to do TI ONLY. Someone on a different forum got onto me because I needed to recheck again and make sure that tricare reserve even covered this since it was different from prime and standard, and I have looked all over and can not find anything that clearly states that tricare reserves selects does or does not cover the injections... in fact the only thing I can even find out about the injectables is on the DoD Pharmacy website until formulary search and that is where I found out about the preauthorization form that needed to be filled out.

Has anyone used Tricare reserve select for injectable medication or known someone that has and are 100% accurate with your information???

Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    They should cover the same as they would for someone on Standard or Prime, the payments are just different.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaB View Post
    I am a very new army wife. Been ttc 5 years but my DH just got enlisted with Army reserves.. I have done so much research about infertility with tricare, and that injections are covered as long as you agree to do TI ONLY. Someone on a different forum got onto me because I needed to recheck again and make sure that tricare reserve even covered this since it was different from prime and standard, and I have looked all over and can not find anything that clearly states that tricare reserves selects does or does not cover the injections... in fact the only thing I can even find out about the injectables is on the DoD Pharmacy website until formulary search and that is where I found out about the preauthorization form that needed to be filled out.

Has anyone used Tricare reserve select for injectable medication or known someone that has and are 100% accurate with your information???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    They should cover the same as they would for someone on Standard or Prime, the payments are just different.
    They should cover anything you an get on either Tricare plan, you just pay more for it.

However, just because it is covered, I believe they may make you jump through some hoops and try other things before they will go that route. I know you are looking for 100% correct answers, but like everything else military, there are none.
    Last edited by His*PITA*; 07-22-2011 at 04:46 PM.
  4. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    We are on TRS. The coverage is basically the same, like the PP's have said, some of it you just pay more for. Still saves a ton in the long run, though.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks everyone. I know with the fertility Injectables the doctor has to note on the preauthorization that you will do only natural reproduction and I am perfectly fine with doing that way even with injectables as long as the dr thinks it is acceptable for my situation. I am not trying to lie about artificial insemination or anything like that. I was just curious because I can never find covered services SPECIFICALLY for tricare reserve select... you look up tricare and there is only one list of covered or not covered services so I was hoping the reserves were not being singled out. I understand paying a higher premium and things like that though because we are reserve and not active duty so that is more than understandable.
    Thanks again everyone for your help.

- Dana

ETA -- I forgot to mention in the 5 years or so DH and I have been trying to have a baby. We have done numerous clomid cycles, femara cycles, I have done metformin for over 3 years, HSG done and tubes were clear, Laprascopy with stage 1 mild endo removed. I do have high insulin and pcos, and am trying to lose weight which I have lost some thank goodness but will continue to keep doing so.

Sorry, my point is not sure what else I can try before I am REQUIRED to move to injectables if in fact I want to keep trying it this way.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanaB View Post
    Thanks everyone. I know with the fertility Injectables the doctor has to note on the preauthorization that you will do only natural reproduction and I am perfectly fine with doing that way even with injectables as long as the dr thinks it is acceptable for my situation. I am not trying to lie about artificial insemination or anything like that. I was just curious because I can never find covered services SPECIFICALLY for tricare reserve select... you look up tricare and there is only one list of covered or not covered services so I was hoping the reserves were not being singled out. I understand paying a higher premium and things like that though because we are reserve and not active duty so that is more than understandable.
    Thanks again everyone for your help.

- Dana

ETA -- I forgot to mention in the 5 years or so DH and I have been trying to have a baby. We have done numerous clomid cycles, femara cycles, I have done metformin for over 3 years, HSG done and tubes were clear, Laprascopy with stage 1 mild endo removed. I do have high insulin and pcos, and am trying to lose weight which I have lost some thank goodness but will continue to keep doing so.

Sorry, my point is not sure what else I can try before I am REQUIRED to move to injectables if in fact I want to keep trying it this way.
    Sorry you're going through so much TTC. The actual coverage is the same for everyone though so as long as it would be covered under Standard/Prime it should be covered for you.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    My doctor told me injectibles were covered, but that Artifical Insemination was not. She said we could fund our own artificial insemination / ivf if we wanted to along with the injectables but that Tricare will not fund any "higher" ttc methods like that. She also said that it would be difficult to find a treatment center where you don't have to use their medications, anyway. That may be misinformation but that was what I was told.

Best of luck with ttc!
  8. One Day At A Time...
    One Day At A Time...
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    My doctor told me injectibles were covered, but that Artifical Insemination was not. She said we could fund our own artificial insemination / ivf if we wanted to along with the injectables but that Tricare will not fund any "higher" ttc methods like that. She also said that it would be difficult to find a treatment center where you don't have to use their medications, anyway. That may be misinformation but that was what I was told.

Best of luck with ttc!
    That is basically what we were told, too. Thankfully we never had to go that far so I didn't spend too much time researching it, but it sounds right.

Good luck with TTC Dana.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate all your help. I am just looking into things. After so many clomid/femara/metformin.... pcos,high insulin, hypothyroid thats well controlled... just seems like alot against me. I know artifical Insem is not covered an that is fine, it don't bother me. I was just getting everyones advice or knowledge about timed intercourse. Chances would be some higher with IUI.... but if they will cover most of the cost of injectables with timed intercourse than I will do that route for a few months.. i'm not gonna be out much money by doing it. My husband has produced a child naturally once (with me in 2007) But it was a clomid baby and I miscarried but I also at that point did not realize I had PCOS, and had no idea my fasting insulin was over 30, which is suppose to be below a 10 to be normal. So I KNOW conception is possible without IUI.
  10. Senior Member
    Right now we are doing IVF. Tricare Reserves has paid for everything except for moc ivf transfer, getting the eggs and placing them back. All the blood work, ultra sounds and meds have been paid for with the help of tricare and co pays
    It took longer than we thought. Now 2 IUI's, 3 IVF's, 1 FET .
    One day at a time, one step at a time, and one day we will get there.
    DS Feb 2013 and Adopted DS Aug 2012
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast