Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will My Insurance Company Find Out???

1. Senior Member

Help Will My Insurance Company Find Out???

Advertisements
    Ok so not sure if this is exactly the right place for this thread but here is my question...

DF is deploying in a few months and we were planning to do a JOP before he left and then a big wedding fafter he got back. When we brought this idea up with my parents....well lets just say they were less than thrilled.

We still want to do a JOP before he deploys and then the actual wedding in Nov/Dec 2012. We just are going to keep my parents in the dark about the JOP and let them think that the 2012 wedding is our wedding.

Here is the problem...I am still on my mom's health insurance. I tried to switch to my own (our school offers student health insurance) but she didn't see the point and insisted I stay on the family plan. I am worried that if we do register our wedding with the Army that I will be enrolled in TriCare and my Mom will find out via our health insurance company that DF and I are actually married.

The only reason I even thought of that was because our health insurance company had thought I had student health insurance a few months ago and sent a letter saying I needed to prove that I was not enrolled in that insurance in order to continue being covered by them (we got that sorted out)

So...is there anyone that got a JOP and was on their parent's health insurance? Any advice?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Bad idea - beyond bad, actually. Yes, it could come out and it could leave you open to some pretty serious consequences. Being legally married is a consideration to your eligibility to coverage - and continuing to use coverage for which you are no longer legally eligible will not go well.
    Also, putting my nose in there a bit - your plan to handling your parents is probably not the best idea either. Secrets have a way of coming out and when they do, it usually happens in the worst possible way.
  3. jadedvoices
    jadedvoices
    Quote Originally Posted by ZivaD View Post
    Bad idea - beyond bad, actually. Yes, it could come out and it could leave you open to some pretty serious consequences. Being legally married is a consideration to your eligibility to coverage - and continuing to use coverage for which you are no longer legally eligible will not go well.
    Also, putting my nose in there a bit - your plan to handling your parents is probably not the best idea either. Secrets have a way of coming out and when they do, it usually happens in the worst possible way.
    ‎"Our greatest glory consists not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You wanna elope and not tell the family, cool. However, AFTER you are married, keeping it a secret for financial reasons is BAD. Being secretly married is only romantic when you aren't hurting anyone else. Once you are married, you should come clean and get all your ducks in a row.

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ZivaD gave good advice.

I do believe though, that if you're under 26- regardless of marital status- you are entitled to stay on your parent's plan (until age 26) thanks to Obamacare. However, you should definitely double check... there might be stipulations, if you have access to insurance through your spouse (which you would- Tricare), you might not qualify.

Honestly though... I'm not sure how close you are with your family... that could be a pretty hurtful secret to keep.
  6. The LDR that never ends..
    The LDR that never ends..
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    ZivaD gave good advice.

I do believe though, that if you're under 26- regardless of marital status- you are entitled to stay on your parent's plan (until age 26) thanks to Obamacare. However, you should definitely double check... there might be stipulations, if you have access to insurance through your spouse (which you would- Tricare), you might not qualify.

Honestly though... I'm not sure how close you are with your family... that could be a pretty hurtful secret to keep.
    I know you're covered till you're 26 now, unless you're married but you can still choose your parents insurance.... However---I dont think you could opt out of Tricare?

Honestly OP? I'd just be upfront and honest. Say you're getting a JOP and then will have the wedding next year but that you felt the need to get things in a row now.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Very much agreed.

I couldn't lie to my parents for so long. If you wanted your JOP secret...fine. Tell them afterwards though. Going that long shows lack of respect.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.

You're an adult getting married to the man you love what does your mother have to do with it maybe it's just me but it's your life being you are an adult and your ass on the line trying to hide it from her if something gets messed up with the insurance stuff. Ling doesn't sound like a good idea either way if you value what she thinks of you because what if she finds out you hid it from her? If you HAVE to keep it from her why not just wait?
    Signature removed due to size.
  9. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RetepDoc View Post
    Ok so not sure if this is exactly the right place for this thread but here is my question...

DF is deploying in a few months and we were planning to do a JOP before he left and then a big wedding fafter he got back. When we brought this idea up with my parents....well lets just say they were less than thrilled.

We still want to do a JOP before he deploys and then the actual wedding in Nov/Dec 2012. We just are going to keep my parents in the dark about the JOP and let them think that the 2012 wedding is our wedding.

Here is the problem...I am still on my mom's health insurance. I tried to switch to my own (our school offers student health insurance) but she didn't see the point and insisted I stay on the family plan. I am worried that if we do register our wedding with the Army that I will be enrolled in TriCare and my Mom will find out via our health insurance company that DF and I are actually married.

The only reason I even thought of that was because our health insurance company had thought I had student health insurance a few months ago and sent a letter saying I needed to prove that I was not enrolled in that insurance in order to continue being covered by them (we got that sorted out)

So...is there anyone that got a JOP and was on their parent's health insurance? Any advice?
    Bad idea, possibly illegal, and frankly if you are old enough to get married, you are old enough and adult enough to be honest and upfront. Why would you keep it a secret?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally View Post
    Bad idea, possibly illegal, and frankly if you are old enough to get married, you are old enough and adult enough to be honest and upfront. Why would you keep it a secret?
    Just tell them the truth. They'll get over it soon enough. Much faster than if you lie about it and they find out another way-with possible legal repercussions.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast