Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAH question for the Gurus...

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

BAH question for the Gurus...

Advertisements
    Okay, DF doesn't seem to know the answer either and we get mixed responses from friends. We are getting married on the first of August. Over the next three days we will deal with DEERS and all the other fun stuff to enroll in.

How long will it take to start getting BAH? I honestly would rather move on base because the rent cost here is HIGH and we have two, almost three kids but he doesn't want to. So...a month? two months? will we get back pay for it?

BiggyBiggs...the Wifey that makes me go "WoW"
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Should be within a month and you'll get back paid to the date you got married
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    You "should" start seeing it in a few weeks, however, people have waited months for it to show up, It really depends on when/who you submit the paperwork.

Yes, you will get back-pay once it does go through starting from the day you got married.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    it is usually the 1st paycheck following enrollment into DEERS. To get it on the 15th enrollment needs to happen by like the 8th, to get it on the 1st enrollment needs to happen by like the 20th (give or take on the dates). It is possible that it may be the 1st of the month following enrollment. So, if you enroll on Aug 8 its possible you won't get BAH until 1 Sept. Or if you enroll Aug 20th you may not get it until 1 oct.

There is no for sure time to get it. Just know you will get it and will be back paid to the date of marriage.
    Banned
    If you get married the 1st of August, you should start seeing some BAH by August 15th or September 1st, with any back pay if it is necessary.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    From the time I was enrolled in deers to the time we received our BAH and back pay was 4 months. We went into finance every pay period and they just kept saying "just wait, next pay you should get it". So, I would definitely be prepared for it taking longer than you expect.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    You "should" start seeing it in a few weeks, however, people have waited months for it to show up, It really depends on when/who you submit the paperwork.

Yes, you will get back-pay once it does go through starting from the day you got married.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
    From the time I was enrolled in deers to the time we received our BAH and back pay was 4 months. We went into finance every pay period and they just kept saying "just wait, next pay you should get it". So, I would definitely be prepared for it taking longer than you expect.
    And this. We waited 4 months to get ours as well. We were married in August and didn't start receiving it until December. It all depends, there is no set date that you'll start receiving it, so be prepared for it to not be there right away. We were pretty much screwed and ended up racking up some serious credit card debt because we had no other way to pay for groceries and gas.
    "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." -emily bronte
    fashion lust!
    http://www.iwouldtotallywearthat.blogspot.com
  8. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    We got married on April 1 and couldn't get to DEERS until the following week or something... but yes we did get back pay, and I believe it was in his paycheck for May 1 (probably could have had it April 15, but I don't think we went to DEERS until like April 10th or so). So it really shouldn't be delayed too long.

NOW, having said all that... GET ON THE HOUSING WAITING LIST!! Even if you don't want to be offered something. Tell them that you're signing a lease or whatever and you don't want to be offered anything til July 2012. Not only will you be at the top of the list by that time, but you MAY be allowed a move into housing at the military's expense if you get on the housing wait list within 30 days of your marriage. We were told that would have been an option for us, but we didn't get on the wait list within 30 days (we just went on the wait list earlier this year, a year after we were married). Just because you get on the wait list doesn't mean you have to take something. They can "defer" you so that they won't even call you to offer you anything until the date you tell them (like a year from now).

AND... speaking from experience... we have an 8 year old daughter, 5 year old son, and 2 month old daughter. We're moving into a 4 bedroom house in housing because it's going to save us SO much money. It's larger than the house we rent now and the rent is the same (DH is E-6, BAH is something like $2196/month). HOWEVER, we'll be saving like $200-300 a month by not having to pay for utilities. Plus we're moving closer to his work, so that saves gas money etc. etc. etc. My husband didn't want to move into housing either, and since we weren't actually married when we moved down here, it wasn't an option THEN, but I have been looking forward to moving into housing for quite some time (we get the keys in 6 days YAY!). My husband didn't really want to live in housing at first either... I think he thought it'd be like living at work. But it's not like that at all. I've lived in base housing before (with my ex) and I really liked it. Didn't have any problems. I can't tell you how happy I am to be moving into base housing so I don't have to worry about my utilities here anymore.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  9. Senior Member
    Good luck! We've been married since May and have yet to see a dime of BAH. They claim we're going to get it on Aug 1 but I'm not holding my breath. They told us July 1st originally, then they told us July 15, now they're saying Aug 1st. My husband had to go in almost every week to make sure they were working on our BAH paperwork...AND he made sure to bring one of his NCO's with him because they wouldn't even give him the time of day unless he had someone higher rank with him.

So like some of the others said, prepare for it to take longer than expected. The Army is lucky that I have a job that pays our bills otherwise, we'd be screwed.

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  10. Banned
    Banned
    it can take 2 weeks to 6 weeks depending on branch, the date it was put into the system and how fast it is processed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast