Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Cosmetic Surgery?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Cosmetic Surgery?

Advertisements
    I know there's been a thousand posts about this, but I'm hoping this is different

DH is the one that wants the surgery, not me. He has always had an issue with this part of his body, and it's starting to effect his self esteem horribly. Like to the point where it is TRULY effecting his daily activities. I was wondering if the Army would cover any of it, or how he would go about asking someone, who he would ask.

It's not something he likes to draw attention to, since it gets enough as it is, so I just thought if I could get enough info for him so he didn't have to publicize it, it would be easier for him.

I know this is really vague.. so if more details are needed I can give them
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I guess it would really depend on what it was as for who to talk too... If its a self esteem thing my first guess would be the Chaplin or a counselor.
  3. You are here.
    You are here.
    eh, i think he could it through the military, he would have to talk to his PCM. He may need to show that its affecting his self esteem though (ie like talking to a therapist or someone that will vouch that he's suffering psychologically.)
  4. Senior Member
    It would depend on what it is I'm sure.
  5. Senior Member

It wouldn't hurt to talk to his PCM about it. They do cosmetic surgery for active duty but it can be a long wait list to get it done. They have surgeons in the military who need to keep up with cosmetic surgery specialties so it is covered, just not a quick process to get it done most of the time.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for the info ladies

I guess now he's just confused as for how to bring it up at the doctor. Does he just tell them he's concerned about the area? For the record, it's his chest. Gynecomastia is the technical term. No matter how much he works out or diets it just doesn't go away, in fact it's getting worse the older he gets. Poor guy doesn't even want to take his jacket off during PT
  7. Senior Member
    I know an army wife who claims she was depressed about her chest size and went to a therapist for it. She told me that Tricare approved a breast implant surgery for her because her therapist signed some paper saying it was affecting her psychologically. I'm not sure if this is the way to do it but maybe he can talk to a therapist about it and they can do something similar for him?

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFailFranky. View Post
    Thanks for the info ladies

I guess now he's just confused as for how to bring it up at the doctor. Does he just tell them he's concerned about the area? For the record, it's his chest. Gynecomastia is the technical term. No matter how much he works out or diets it just doesn't go away, in fact it's getting worse the older he gets. Poor guy doesn't even want to take his jacket off during PT
    DH has the same condition. It is genetic. He also has Low T, but not low enough to warrant supplements. He has been offered breast reduction, but he decided to wait.

He can make an appoint with the TMC. They will run a complete hormone pannel and see what comes back. When DH sheds the weight, they go down but when he gains weight back, they come back. He floats between a training bra size and a small B cup. Luckily, he deals with it, but yes, it does effect his self esteem. I do believe he will eventually have the reduction surgery, but we are waiting to see an endocrinologist first to see if hormone therapy will help.

Good luck. Talk to me if you have ANY questions.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

So Justin was telling me that if I was to be in the military that they'd give me a boob job if I was to go to tricare and tell them that me not having larger breasts is effecting my every day work day and whatever blah blah excuse I could.... But i'm not sure how right that is it's just what he was telling me he had heard.

So he could always say something like that and he feels he would preform better at his job if he had the surgery