Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Health Insurance After Active Duty?

  1. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #1

    Health Insurance After Active Duty?

    Advertisements
    I was reading the VA website on health insurance after active duty, but it's confusing me. DB will be getting out hopefully in July under the VEERP. He'll be honorably discharged. He says he won't have health insurance unless it's service related, but I keep getting really conflicting information from other veterans, the website, and him. He'll have served a little over five years (because of his reenlistment timing) by the time he's out.

    So now I'm confused. Can anyone direct me to a good resource or break it down dummy-style for me? Does Tricare work like civilian insurance? Also, any tips on dealing with the VA? He doesnt have much patience for things like doctors, paperwork and scheduling, so I'm probably going to be doing it.

    Let's assume for the purpose of this thread he'll rate 30% disability when hes out. I won't know the set percentage until he does his final physical, but thats the one I'm assuming he'll be released with.
  2. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #2
    he will be able to us the VA- but it is not insurance- he will lose tricare unless he is medically retired-

    I do not know what the VA will cover whether it is service related only or not.
  3. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #3
    Okay. Thank you

    Anyone else know about the VA?
  4. The cake is a lie...
    Nickelknack's Avatar
    Nickelknack is offline
    The cake is a lie...
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Near Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    14,592
    #4
    Tell him to mention EVERYTHING that is hurting, wrong, etc. when he goes to medical for the final examination or whatever they call it. He can get care at the VA, but unless it's in his service record he will most likely have to pay for it. My husband messed up his knee before he was honorably discharged and a few other things. He can get all of that taken care of by the VA and it doesn't cost him. But only because it's in his service record. Also, I'm pretty sure that your DB can get Tricare for 6 months after separation. Here is the PDF about it: http://www.uscg.mil/reserve/docs/mem...urces/TAMP.pdf That's what my husband and I did. I can ask my husband some more questions if you like. At best, I probably just confused you. Sorry.
    MS234755 and mxchick910 are my wifeys!
    I'm BiggyBiggs mistress!

    Not in cruelty,
    Not in wrath,
    The Reaper came today;
    An Angel visited this gray path,
    And took the cube away.

  5. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelknack View Post
    Tell him to mention EVERYTHING that is hurting, wrong, etc. when he goes to medical for the final examination or whatever they call it. He can get care at the VA, but unless it's in his service record he will most likely have to pay for it. My husband messed up his knee before he was honorably discharged and a few other things. He can get all of that taken care of by the VA and it doesn't cost him. But only because it's in his service record. Also, I'm pretty sure that your DB can get Tricare for 6 months after separation. Here is the PDF about it: http://www.uscg.mil/reserve/docs/mem...urces/TAMP.pdf That's what my husband and I did. I can ask my husband some more questions if you like. At best, I probably just confused you. Sorry.
    No, that's good. I think he'll be pretty honest at his last physical. I think he might be a smidge concerned about being med-hold'ed but I think he should be okay.

    I was reading on the VA about getting non-service related things covered & needing to pay. It didn't look too expensive, but I'm not sure. Do you think it would be worth it to go through the VA or to get a standard civilian health insurance plan?
  6. The cake is a lie...
    Nickelknack's Avatar
    Nickelknack is offline
    The cake is a lie...
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Near Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    14,592
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    No, that's good. I think he'll be pretty honest at his last physical. I think he might be a smidge concerned about being med-hold'ed but I think he should be okay.

    I was reading on the VA about getting non-service related things covered & needing to pay. It didn't look too expensive, but I'm not sure. Do you think it would be worth it to go through the VA or to get a standard civilian health insurance plan?
    I really couldn't say. I know that if he had an emergency and had to go to an ER, unless it was literally life threatening the VA will not cover it. My husband has only ever been seen for things that are in his service record. I'll ask him what he thinks when he comes back into the room.
    MS234755 and mxchick910 are my wifeys!
    I'm BiggyBiggs mistress!

    Not in cruelty,
    Not in wrath,
    The Reaper came today;
    An Angel visited this gray path,
    And took the cube away.

  7. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelknack View Post
    I really couldn't say. I know that if he had an emergency and had to go to an ER, unless it was literally life threatening the VA will not cover it. My husband has only ever been seen for things that are in his service record. I'll ask him what he thinks when he comes back into the room.
    Thanks. The VA website is just confusing. Maybe I should just call someone. According to DB, I have the patience of a Buddhist monk. I can handle long wait times and annoying receptionists.
  8. The cake is a lie...
    Nickelknack's Avatar
    Nickelknack is offline
    The cake is a lie...
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Near Daytona Beach, FL
    Posts
    14,592
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by oohrah_baby View Post
    Thanks. The VA website is just confusing. Maybe I should just call someone. According to DB, I have the patience of a Buddhist monk. I can handle long wait times and annoying receptionists.
    I just thought about it. Sometimes the VA can take a LONG time to get appointments. And it can be a pain in the ass. You get the run around a lot. It may just be more beneficial for him to just go with civilian insurance. My husband says he's not sure. Maybe the VA is better where you live. I know we can't stand the one that is within 40 minutes of us. We prefer the VA in Orlando. I would call and try to get as much info as you can. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    MS234755 and mxchick910 are my wifeys!
    I'm BiggyBiggs mistress!

    Not in cruelty,
    Not in wrath,
    The Reaper came today;
    An Angel visited this gray path,
    And took the cube away.

  9. cuz i'm wonderful
    linzerfufu's Avatar
    linzerfufu is offline
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    11,833
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelknack View Post
    I just thought about it. Sometimes the VA can take a LONG time to get appointments. And it can be a pain in the ass. You get the run around a lot. It may just be more beneficial for him to just go with civilian insurance. My husband says he's not sure. Maybe the VA is better where you live. I know we can't stand the one that is within 40 minutes of us. We prefer the VA in Orlando. I would call and try to get as much info as you can. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
    Thanks. Yeah, I've heard the horror stories. I can only imagine my short tempered vetran boyfriend trying to deal with them. It would not go well. The VA is close to us, so we'll see. I'm going to call them tomorrow and get some more information. I'd like him to continue his physical therapy or see a chiropractor or something about his back and knees, so I'm going to see what I can do.

    It might end up being a PITA because I'm not his wife. How bad do you think it'd be to lie to the VA? Probably real bad, huh?
  10. Senior Member
    *Stephanie*'s Avatar
    *Stephanie* is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    JBER; Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    16,315
    #10
    I know they can get COBRA, but you pay out the butt for that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •