Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Living on base with S/O without being married?

1. Senior Member

Screwy Living on base with S/O without being married?

Advertisements
    I just was talking to DB and he was talking about housing, I guess they are building some new houses on the beach where he is stationed.

He said 'Maybe we could get one of those" and I pulled a 'him' By saying "theres only one problem with that, we'd have to be married to live on base."

He played it off and said no we dont he would just have to file a 'chit'. He said he talked to someone about it and thats what they said.

Is that true in the navy? I could live with DB on base in base housing, without being married by having this chit?

I dont think thats true, I didnt think they gave housing to "single" sailors/soldiers, they would just get like dorms right?

2. Banned
    Banned
    As far as I know, E-4 and below, single, must live in barracks. Those that are married or have children can get base housing. You wouldn't be allowed to live there (legally) with him unless you were married. You wouldn't be able to get an ID to get on and off base without being married.
  3. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    If it's PPV housing (civilian company has a contract to run the military housing), and there are open houses not in demand by military families, they will rent them out to regular civilians (and I don't see why not to single military too). I've never actually seen or heard of this happening though as all the housing I've seen has been in demand by military families.
  4. Senior Member
    See thats what I was thinking too, I asked how would I leave and get back on base? He said "with me" Well I do plan on getting a job, How would I do that? He replyed with "I dont know, we will figure it out"

I think hes just saying all this to throw me off the trail of getting married soon. lol

5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Also, the only chit I've heard of is one for Single military members who are required to live in the barracks. They can put in a chit to request BAH and to live off base. But like I said, unless there was a severe shortage of military families needing the housing, he shouldn't be able to get into that housing, just regular places to rent out in town.

So it sounds like he's wanting to get married soon. Yay for you!
  6. Senior Member
    LOL ya, he sounded a little panicked when I was asking how I was gonna get back on base and everything, I dont think he knows Im on MSOS and can talk to people who know these things!

And thanks, Im hoping, he comes home very soon to visit!!

7. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Highly doubtful that you can get on base housing when he is single. He's either ill informed or he's messing with you to distract you.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  8. Senior Member
    I'm thinking hes messing with me. Hopefully. He comes home soon, so hopefully I'll know soon to if hes messing or just ill informed.

9. I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    I'm a boss playa', I don't bleed like you.
    i lived with my dh on base before we were married. he got lucky and the dorms were full so they gave him a house and i lived on base with no problems. i just got a pass and renewed it every two weeks so that i could drive on and off.

10. Senior Member
    A pass? Did he have to fill out a 'chit' of any kind?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast