Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birth Control and TRICARE STANDARD

1. Senior Member

Confused Birth Control and TRICARE STANDARD

Advertisements
    I'm new to being an Army wife and we just filled out all the Army paperwork for DEERS and such. The lady at TRICARE told me I'm on TRICARE STANDARD now.

I'm still technically on my mothers insurance and I want to get off and just have TRICARE STANDARD since it's a better plan for me.

My question is I'm currently getting birth control through my mother insurance plan. I go to Wal-mart and pick it up each month. Since I'm going to be changing my insurance to TRICARE Standard, will I be able to still get my birth control on TRICARE without going to a new doctor to prescribe it to me? Or will I need to find a new doctor to prescribe it to me? What have been your experiences?

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  2. Senior Member
    You can still use that prescription as long as you have refills left on it. Just give the pharmacy your new insurance. I did that recently .. my birth control actually got a little cheaper!
  3. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    You can still use that prescript if you have refills left.. and get it filled out in town. An MTF will not take a pre script from out in town. If you were to switch to a PCM/OB-GYN on base then you would have to get a new pap done so that they could write you an order for your BC to be done at the pharmacy on base.

Kinda strange.... easy to remember.... Military Dr.. used on or off base, Civi. Dr.. off base only.
    Florida girl in a Snowy World
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickels View Post
    You can still use that prescript if you have refills left.. and get it filled out in town. An MTF will not take a pre script from out in town. If you were to switch to a PCM/OB-GYN on base then you would have to get a new pap done so that they could write you an order for your BC to be done at the pharmacy on base.

Kinda strange.... easy to remember.... Military Dr.. used on or off base, Civi. Dr.. off base only.
    I never went to a military Dr. and took my civilian RX.'s to the MTF and got them filled for free.

You can transfer Rx.'s from one location to another if you have refills left.
  5. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I never went to a military Dr. and took my civilian RX.'s to the MTF and got them filled for free.

I've never been allowed to do that... thats bogus man!!!!!!!!!!! I had to have extra people down there poking around at my hooha just months after someone had already done it.

the Tricare rep at NAS Jax (only place i've been on standard) told me that... back in early 2006.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickels View Post
    I've never been allowed to do that... thats bogus man!!!!!!!!!!! I had to have extra people down there poking around at my hooha just months after someone had already done it.

the Tricare rep at NAS Jax (only place i've been on standard) told me that... back in early 2006.
    Maybe they changed it? I was on it end of 09 to early 10 and always went to my civi Dr.'s and then brought my RX to base and had them all filled for free. It was amazing.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post

this. I have had civilian rx's filled at the on base parm.
  8. Together, Apart, Together, Apart .. its the Navy
    • Military Treatment Facility (MTF) Pharmacies—this is the least expensive option for filling prescriptions. You may receive up to a 90-day supply of most medications at no cost. Most MTF pharmacies accept prescriptions written by civilian and military providers. However, non-formulary medications generally are not available.
    ok so im not a total nut for having mulitpule people poking around down there... not all MTF's will accept civi. prescripts... so I would suggest calling if you want to get it filled for free on base.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    I have taken civilian rx's to the MTF here- as long as they can get it they will fill it= sometimes they have to get mine from NAS jax and I have to wait a day or to to fill it- but they do fill it
  10. Senior Member
    Yep, just let the pharmacy know you switched insurance. My BC is only $3 a month from CVS with Tricare Standard. I don't even want to mess around with the base pharmacy. Too long of a wait and too complicated. It's worth the $3 to get my prescription filled quickly and easily.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast