Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: children receiving speech therapy?

1. Senior Member

children receiving speech therapy?

Advertisements
    Both my son's have recently started to receive speech therapy. Dh will be finished with recruiting duty in a little less than a year and hopes to go to Hawai'i next. Do I need to fill anything out right now to let the Marine Corps know that the kids get speech? I'm assuming it won't have much impact on where he can pcs to.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsie View Post
    Both my son's have recently started to receive speech therapy. Dh will be finished with recruiting duty in a little less than a year and hopes to go to Hawai'i next. Do I need to fill anything out right now to let the Marine Corps know that the kids get speech? I'm assuming it won't have much impact on where he can pcs to.
    Pretty sure you have to enroll them in EFMP to go to Hawaii since its considered OCONUS.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    the EFMP is manditory- so you should get them enrolled ASAP-
    it probably won't keep you from going to HI- but you will need to be enrolled at the time you do the overseas screenings before you can get command sponsored
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Is it mandatory?
    I didn't think it was. Speech therapy is govt/federal/state so you should be able to get him services no matter where you go, stateside (incl HI since its a state)
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Is it mandatory?
    I didn't think it was. Speech therapy is govt/federal/state so you should be able to get him services no matter where you go, stateside (incl HI since its a state)
    yes it is manditory for every branch.
  6. Travel Junkie
    Travel Junkie
    If your children are over the age of 3, the local school districts are required to provide services, evaluations in suspected areas of needs and subsequent therapy if indicated. Hawaii included. If your children are currently receiving private services, I don't know the drill.
  7. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    My son received ST from the age of 2-4. I never once signed him up for EFMP. I didn't see the need for it, as speech delays are very common and wherever we went, there would be a speech pathologist, speech therapist or a speech program around. We had a speech therapist come to the house, then when my son hit 3, the state provided the care. He qualified for Head Start due to having an active IEP for speech. So a speech therapist went to his school for speech therapy.

My son is almost 6 now and is doing great! He is no longer receiving ST, since he's all caught up with his age group.

We first went to my son's ped when he was 2. I requested a referral to Speech Pathology at the Naval Hospital. He was tested and another referral was sent to my area's Early Intervention program.
  8. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Due to the fact that you are going to HI, I would enroll him in EFMP, just so they have it on record before you go through the CS process, it will be noted then anyway and they will enroll you then if you aren't already.

ODS is 8 and has been in ST since he was 2. While most schools/disctrict provide ST, with EFMP, ODS also qualifies for ST outside school (he goes once a week at school and twice outside).

9. Senior Member
    Okay thanks, I'll enroll them in EFMP just to be safe. How do I go about starting that process? (They both receive speech through the school district.) Thanks again for all the advice.