Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Decided....

1. Senior Member

We Decided....

Advertisements
    DB and I really wanna tie the knot when he's home on leave. AAHHH!!! So exciting but marriage scares the crap out of me and it always has. I finally found a man that I see myself marrying, that's actually made me want to get married and be able to call him my Husband. BUT I have 2 kids from a previous relationship so I have a few questions and I was hoping maybe ya'll could help me out

1. Will having dependents affect him going to school with his GI BILL at all when he gets out of the Army? (in about 8 months)

2. How will that affect him getting BAH while going to school?

3. My children have Health Insurance through their father so will they have to switch to Tricare?

4. Is their help with Child Care at all through the Army? I get help with Child Care right now through the state, I know that will obviously change once we are married.

5. I live in MA with my kids and he's stationed at Ft. Hood. He won't be able to stay in the Barracks if he's married right?

We love each other so much and want to do this but me being a planner/worry wart wants to make sure it doesn't effect his future career goals. Would it be smarter on his part to wait until he's out of Army and finishes school???
    "Time passes. Even when it seems impossible, even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me."

2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindblueyes112 View Post
    DB and I really wanna tie the knot when he's home on leave. AAHHH!!! So exciting but marriage scares the crap out of me and it always has. I finally found a man that I see myself marrying, that's actually made me want to get married and be able to call him my Husband. BUT I have 2 kids from a previous relationship so I have a few questions and I was hoping maybe ya'll could help me out

1. Will having dependents affect him going to school with his GI BILL at all when he gets out of the Army? (in about 8 months)

2. How will that affect him getting BAH while going to school?

3. My children have Health Insurance through their father so will they have to switch to Tricare?

4. Is their help with Child Care at all through the Army? I get help with Child Care right now through the state, I know that will obviously change once we are married.

5. I live in MA with my kids and he's stationed at Ft. Hood. He won't be able to stay in the Barracks if he's married right?

We love each other so much and want to do this but me being a planner/worry wart wants to make sure it doesn't effect his future career goals. Would it be smarter on his part to wait until he's out of Army and finishes school???
    1) no he can still use the GI bill-

2) the BAH is the same for the GI bill regardless if he is married or not- it is at the rate of the school for an E5 with dep

3) no you can have tricare as secondary

4) no- but there are programs that can help with child care if you with in the dual income guidelines

5) not usually- you may have to plan on paying for 2 households until he gets out in 8 months
    Last edited by gunsgirl; 06-05-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: edited to change BAH to E5 with Dep
  3. Senior Member
    2) the BAH is the same for the GI bill regardless if he is married or not- it is at the rate of the school for a single E5
    Did this just change this year? It's been at the E-5 with dependents rate.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    sorry it is at the E5 with dep rate -- I had a momentary lapse

I fixed my post !!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach View Post
    It is at E-5 With dependents according to the website.

As to the barracks question he may be able to since you would not be living with him I suppose. That is a question he will have to take up with his command or whomever is in charge of the barracks. Since he would be a geo-bachelor they may allow it if they have the space.

As for the healthcare question if they already have healthcare, and he is getting out in 8 months they may not be much of reason for you to enroll them in tricare, but secondary healthcare is always good. Unless you think he may stay in then.

As for daycare no there is no assistance programs but if you are close to a base you may be able to enroll them into Child Development Center on base.
    ~ Sara ~
  6. Senior Member
    Thanks Ladies! One more question...lol. If and when we do get married where do I have to go to get my ID and enrolled in DEERS etc. the closest Army post is like 6 hours away from me.
    "Time passes. Even when it seems impossible, even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does. Even for me."

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    sorry it is at the E5 with dep rate -- I had a momentary lapse

I fixed my post !!
    Good, since we are counting on that money! lol
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Behindblueyes112 View Post
    Thanks Ladies! One more question...lol. If and when we do get married where do I have to go to get my ID and enrolled in DEERS etc. the closest Army post is like 6 hours away from me.
    I think you may be able to go to any military installation that's close to do so. But don't quote me on that, not 100% sure
  9. Robin :)
    Robin :)
    Quote Originally Posted by silverrein View Post
    I think you may be able to go to any military installation that's close to do so. But don't quote me on that, not 100% sure
    you can go to ANY military installation, you could even possibly do it at an armory. DH looked into that just in case I'd move home when he's deployed and lose my ID
    We Survived Deployment #1 July 2011-Feburary 2012
    We Survived Deployment #2 July 2013-April 2014

I'm the Pink in a household full of Blue
  10. Senior Member
    He may be able to stay in the barracks as a geo-bachelor, but it will probably depend on his unit and how full their barracks are.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast