Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: to marry or not?

1. Regular Member

to marry or not?

Advertisements
    my fiance and are getting ready to get transfered...we have no idea where yet but it will most likely be pretty far from where we are now. We are getting married in a few months but have been doing some research about moving with dependants vs. w/out and there is quite a difference. So, we have been thinking about just going ahead and doing the courthouse thing before the move. Also, im worried about when we move I wont have a job (hopefully i can find one quick) and therefore no more health insurance which i need for my prescriptions. What are some of the differences when you get married? Would it even be worthwhile?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Once you are married, you will be put on Tricare. That will start (if registered before the 20th of the month) the following month.

As for moving with him, when is he transferring? I think you need to be on his orders for them to pay for your move. I can't remember for sure on that one.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    We married before our formal wedding. It made things easier as far as paperwork etc. He'll get more housing allowance and if you are on his orders he'll get more weight to ship and they will pay to move you also.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post
    We married before our formal wedding. It made things easier as far as paperwork etc. He'll get more housing allowance and if you are on his orders he'll get more weight to ship and they will pay to move you also.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Once you are married, you will be put on Tricare. That will start (if registered before the 20th of the month) the following month.

As for moving with him, when is he transferring? I think you need to be on his orders for them to pay for your move. I can't remember for sure on that one.
    Although you would be covered by Standard as soon as you get an ID card. Plus you can technically file a claim for any appointments you have before you get into DEERS. I never actually registered with Tricare since I was fine on Standard for the first year.
  6. cuz i'm wonderful
    cuz i'm wonderful
    Is it really important to you that your wedding be when you're marries? If the cost benefit analysis checks out, do it. If it's really important that your wedding be the day you're married, or if this will cause you to postpone your wedding ceremony and having a wedding is really important to you, don't do it.
  7. ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    ♡1 Peter 4:8 ♡
    My fiance and I are in the exact same situation! We decided to do the courthouse thing beforehand, too. The benefits were MUCH better with the move, especially since we'll be moving all of our possessions literally across the country! It didn't make sense financially for us to wait.