Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Cards, DEERS, and changing my name!

1. Senior Member

Help ID Cards, DEERS, and changing my name!

Advertisements
    So I got married a little over a week ago and havent filed any of the paperwork for the military yet due to the fact I have a crazy work schedule and am always working when any of the offices are open. Anyways, I'm getting a half day off from work to try and get my ID and stuff.

My question is I have yet to change my maiden name to my legal name and was wondering do I need to have my married name on my social security card and drivers license when I apply for my ID card and enroll in DEERS or will they put my married name on it if I tell them I'm planning on changing it? Also when I signed the marriage certificate, I signed my maiden name.

Anyone know????

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I went down and got a drivers lisence in my married name before I got my mil id, and had my old social card with me. they gave me my id with my married name even though it was not changed with the ssa yet.

Also, you can print off the forms to change your last name online that way when you go to the ss office you just hand them the forms and sign some papers. They will give you a paper saying that you are getting a new card and that your name is legally changed.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kellysaav View Post
    So I got married a little over a week ago and havent filed any of the paperwork for the military yet due to the fact I have a crazy work schedule and am always working when any of the offices are open. Anyways, I'm getting a half day off from work to try and get my ID and stuff.

My question is I have yet to change my maiden name to my legal name and was wondering do I need to have my married name on my social security card and drivers license when I apply for my ID card and enroll in DEERS or will they put my married name on it if I tell them I'm planning on changing it? Also when I signed the marriage certificate, I signed my maiden name.

Anyone know????
    i've been married for almost seven months and i still haven't changed my last name to dh's legally. it wasn't a problem applying for anything. i'm pretty sure they can put your married name on your ID card, the lady who did mine said i could if i wanted (because we had our marriage certificate).. pretty sure my certificate was signed with my maiden, too i just use my maiden name lol

4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I have been married 5yrs and still haven't changed my SSN and licence over to my married name (mainly because I have to change my passport and green card as well and am better doing that in Australia) but everything military is in my married name. I just carry a copy (not an origional) of my marriage licence in my purse. I didn't have any problems getting my ID in my married name

Eta: you are supposed to sign you marriage certificate with your maiden name

Banned

Anyone know????
    You will be fine without changing everything over. My SS card still doesn't have my married name, and neither does my passport. My ID says my married name and so does my driver's license, lol.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    When I got enrolled in DEERS, the guy didn't even ASK what name I wanted on it, he just put my husbands. So don't worry, you don't have to have a new license or SSC before you get your married name put on your dependent ID.
  7. Senior Member
    I had my maiden name on mine until I legally changed it through the mail and got my new social security card. It was no big deal. I waited to change my name due to financial aid paperwork and my passport that I needed to travel on within 2 months.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks everyone! I've been having trouble calling the ID facility and actually being able to talk to someone on the phone but eventually did today. The man on the phone said that if I hadn't legally changed my name yet, that my military ID would be in my maiden name and when I officially change it, then I could come back and get a new ID in my married name. I don't know why some people were able to have their married name on it before changing it but apparently at Fort Lewis they wont do that.

DH: "I love you so much beautiful. Thanks for always being there and believing in me. It just makes me love you more!"
  9. BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    BingBangBoom that's how babies are made
    Thanks everyone! I've been having trouble calling the ID facility and actually being able to talk to someone on the phone but eventually did today. The man on the phone said that if I hadn't legally changed my name yet, that my military ID would be in my maiden name and when I officially change it, then I could come back and get a new ID in my married name. I don't know why some people were able to have their married name on it before changing it but apparently at Fort Lewis they wont do that.
    That's strange... I would make an appointment to get your ID, if you haven't already, & see what happens.
    I got my military ID 2 days after I got married. I changed my name on my SS card & license 6 months later.

"Thank you so much. No matter what, nothing is possible without you behind the scenes bustin heads and takin names. Thank you again. Everything you have done for me means a lot and nothing has gone unnoticed. I love you so much and thank you for saying 'I do.'"
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think I had my name changed and everything before I went in. I was in WA when I changed mine, there is a social security office by the south hill mall. It was really easy, I just walked in and there wasn't a wait or anything. You'll need your marriage certificate. And then I went to the DMV off canyon rd and changed my license since I already had the paperwork with me. You should get your things in the mail fairly soon
    Sometimes at Ft. Lewis, if DH will take you on base, you can get things done faster or at least get some questions answered by showing up at the office. Even though hubby is AF I had to go to Ft. Lewis for some paperwork things, and they can be slow & unhelpful. I had a paperwork issue, I kept talking to the lady over the phone, and she would not give me the papers, only DH, but he was in FL. So juggling time zones & getting her to fax them to him was a MESS &&& when I went to her office to turn them in, they were sitting out in the waiting room! Anyone who could get on base could have walked in and picked them up!!
    You just gotta keep calling or show up every now and then, be respectful, but pushy
    P.S. I'm totally jealous you are at Ft. Lewis, I miss WA!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast