Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How to switch from Prime to Standard?

1. Senior Member

Question How to switch from Prime to Standard?

Advertisements
    Okay so I just married into the Air Force and chose to enroll in Prime. Now that we are trying to get pregnant and are about to PCS in a month, I want to switch to Standard (I want to go to the Dr. of my choice...possibly even a birth center and I don't think Prime allows that, I could be wrong). Do I have to go on base and talk to the insurance ladies or is it possible to do it all on the phone with TriWest? If I remember correctly, I know it has to be switched by the 20th of a month to take affect by the 1st of the next month. I know, I feel pathetic for not knowing anything on how to go about this...so I thank you for your help!
  2. Senior Member
    I would just call the tricare number. It should be that simple. Or go into the tricare office at the base or military hospital.
  3. Senior Member
    I had to fill out a disenrollment form. I just faxed it into Tricare South.

I know some people can choose their doctors on Prime, but it all depends on your base. MacDill doesn't have OB on base or a hospital, so everyone sees civilian doctors of their choice. Other people don't have the option though. I'm on Standard though and like it. Everyone has different priorities when it comes to their healthcare.
  4. Senior Member
    Just found out that the birth center I want to use whenever I do get pregnant (hopefully soon!) accepts Prime...so it looks like I won't have to switch. Yay! Thanks ladies for your input!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan1511 View Post
    Okay so I just married into the Air Force and chose to enroll in Prime. Now that we are trying to get pregnant and are about to PCS in a month, I want to switch to Standard (I want to go to the Dr. of my choice...possibly even a birth center and I don't think Prime allows that, I could be wrong). Do I have to go on base and talk to the insurance ladies or is it possible to do it all on the phone with TriWest? If I remember correctly, I know it has to be switched by the 20th of a month to take affect by the 1st of the next month. I know, I feel pathetic for not knowing anything on how to go about this...so I thank you for your help!
    My suggestion to you is to wait til you get to where you are going and see what their OB services are at that base. Not all bases have full service hospitals and for many now you must go off base and see someone (within their system) of your choice.

What base are you going to?
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I'd wait until you get there. Many AF bases do not have a hospital and contract out to civilian hosptials and birthing centers. My oldest was born at a birthing center/woman's clinic in Colo Springs, my youngest was born at the civilian hospital in the town where our last base was. So, I'd seriously wait until you get to your new base and see what facilities they have.

Plus with standard, I think you have to pay a portion, like 10-20%? can't remember.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post

Plus with standard, I think you have to pay a portion, like 10-20%? can't remember.
    Maternity care is free under standard.