Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: BAH Question

1. Regular Member

BAH Question

Advertisements
    This is probably a very simple question, but I just can't seem to figure it out!

If DF and I get married right before he goes to Korea for a year, will he get BAH for me while I stay here in the states?? (It's a one year TDY unaccompanied)

And if so, is that just a flat rate based on where I live, or would I have to submit documentation showing where I'm living/how much my cost of living is?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yes, if you get married before he goes you will get BAH and it will be based on the city you live in. You may have to show a lease, but it isn't common. If you do, and you are living with family, just have your family draw up a lease.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

When my husband was in training we got bah base upon what city I lived in and his pay grade. It will be included in his pay
  4. Regular Member
    If you do, and you are living with family, just have your family draw up a lease.
    Trish, you read my mind!
    I was wondering if I do stay at home with my family if we would still qualify to get the BAH. So that's not totally illegal, even if my parents don't truly charge me to live at home?
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley4350 View Post
    Trish, you read my mind!
    I was wondering if I do stay at home with my family if we would still qualify to get the BAH. So that's not totally illegal, even if my parents don't truly charge me to live at home?
    BAH is an entitlement- and even tho you may need to show a lease it is mostly to show which city you live in. it does not matter what you pay for rent- whether it is hundreds of dollars or zero.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by ashley4350 View Post
    Trish, you read my mind!
    I guess its legal, never thought about it that way. Military doesn't care if your rent is $1 or $1500, you get the full BAH (in the states). If you are worried about legality, just pay your parents $100 a month. I never had to show a lease for when I stayed with my parents (while DH was in Korea), military never asked, and I didn't divulge the info. All that will need to be done is you put in DEERS when you get married, and when he goes to Korea he states where his dependents are living. Since he isn't at a base yet (because he's going from tech school) its obvious that you will be living at home, or home city.
  7. Regular Member

Thanks for all your consistent help!