Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye doctors/er on tricare prime

1. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Eye doctors/er on tricare prime

Advertisements
    So, i have a sty. It has basically doubled in size since yesterday and it hurts like a mofo. I have had them before and i know when it is already this bad that i am going to need antibiotic eye drops for it, and possibly oral antibiotics. So, I will need to either make an appointment with an eye doctor or go to an ER ( which seems a bit melodramatic).

I start work Monday so i need to see the eye doctor today if i am doing that. How do I go about seeing the eye doctor? I know with normal insurance I just call any old eye doctor who accepts my insurance and I'm good, but am i required to go on base with tricare prime? If so, do i just call the hospital and be like "'yo, give me an appointment" and get one that day?

If the eye doctor doesn't work out for whatever reason (either can't see me soon enough or I can't drive because my eye is partially swollen shut), am I an ass if I go to an ER? Do I have to go to the ER on base? What's the best time to do this so that it isn't quite so busy? I know what I need and would rather not wait 12 hours just for my antibiotic prescription.

Sorry, i am kinda dumb about health insurance related things. I just want my care to be covered because we are poor

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

As far as I know you do not have to go on base. I used to go to the doctor inside of Wal-Mart( I worked for him). Just make sure they accept Tricare otherwise you will have to pay out of pocket....

ALSO they should bill this medically since you have a STY. Then you can still use your one eye exam a year since you have Prime.

Like I said just call a Optometrist and see if they take Tricare. Most places can get you in same day.
  3. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by FROGLOVE View Post
    As far as I know you do not have to go on base. I used to go to the doctor inside of Wal-Mart( I worked for him). Just make sure they accept Tricare otherwise you will have to pay out of pocket....

ALSO they should bill this medically since you have a STY. Then you can still use your one eye exam a year since you have Prime.

Like I said just call a Optometrist and see if they take Tricare. Most places can get you in same day.
    Okay! Thank you
    I'm glad I can save my one eye exam...I need new contacts and my current glasses are wayyy too weak.

The only problem is that my eye is sort of swollen shut right now. I'm hoping it will ease up as the day progresses, but if it doesn't and I can't find an eye doctor open Saturdays, would an ER visit tomorrow be covered? Or would this be too trivial? I don't want to be overdramatic about it, but it really hurts and I would like to start the antibiotics so it's at least a little better before I start work on Monday

4. AMD
    Your primary care manager can't handle this issue for you?? I know mine handled my medical eye issues. Usually if you call right at 7AM (or whenever they open), you can get a same day appointment. But Froglove is right, when you call the eye doctor just ask if they accept Tricare. Since (I'm assuming) you live near a base, most of the eye docs in your area probably accept Tricare.
  5. AMD
    Quote Originally Posted by HannahBot View Post
    Okay! Thank you
    I'm glad I can save my one eye exam...I need new contacts and my current glasses are wayyy too weak.

The only problem is that my eye is sort of swollen shut right now. I'm hoping it will ease up as the day progresses, but if it doesn't and I can't find an eye doctor open Saturdays, would an ER visit tomorrow be covered? Or would this be too trivial? I don't want to be overdramatic about it, but it really hurts and I would like to start the antibiotics so it's at least a little better before I start work on Monday
    Yes, it should be covered. I've never had my ER trips not paid for, and I've gone in for a number of things that may appear trivial on paper. If you can't get into a doc, I would definitely got to the ER.
  6. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

Quote Originally Posted by AMD View Post
    Your primary care manager can't handle this issue for you?? I know mine handled my medical eye issues. Usually if you call right at 7AM (or whenever they open), you can get a same day appointment. But Froglove is right, when you call the eye doctor just ask if they accept Tricare. Since (I'm assuming) you live near a base, most of the eye docs in your area probably accept Tricare.
    I didn't even think of her I have always gone to eye doctors for this type of thing. I live right on top of a base. I'd rather call an off base eye doctor anyway because most of our gates are closed and I have no idea which ones are open or how I'd get on base. And hubby is in the field so he can't help me

Quote Originally Posted by AMD View Post
    Yes, it should be covered. I've never had my ER trips not paid for, and I've gone in for a number of things that may appear trivial on paper. If you can't get into a doc, I would definitely got to the ER.
    Thank you! I just feel silly, but these things can get quite serious and it's difficult for me to see already.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

OH also just to let you know Tricare does NOT cover hardware. Meaning They do not pay for glasses, lenses, contacts ect. They cover the EYE exam only. Also meaning that if you get a contact exam done(which probably wont happen today since your eye is swollen, that can affect your vision and can cause your Rx to be off) you will pay OUT OF POCKET for the contact exam portion.[

EXAMPLE: The Optometrist I worked for say charged 40 for the eye exam only. Then for a regular contact exam it was 60 and for Astigmatisim type contacts he charged 70.

SO Tricare will cover the 40 and you will have to pay the 20 or 30 for the contact portion.

Hope that helped.
  8. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

OH also just to let you know Tricare does NOT cover hardware. Meaning They do not pay for glasses, lenses, contacts ect. They cover the EYE exam only. Also meaning that if you get a contact exam done(which probably wont happen today since your eye is swollen, that can affect your vision and can cause your Rx to be off) you will pay OUT OF POCKET for the contact exam portion.[

EXAMPLE: The Optometrist I worked for say charged 40 for the eye exam only. Then for a regular contact exam it was 60 and for Astigmatisim type contacts he charged 70.

SO Tricare will cover the 40 and you will have to pay the 20 or 30 for the contact portion.

Hope that helped.
    Well, boo Oh well, 20 or 30 is better than the full $60 or $70
    Weird question...I love my glasses, but will need new lenses since these are not strong enough. Is it cheaper to get just lenses than it is to get a whole new pair of glasses? Do places even offer that service?

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by HannahBot View Post
    Well, boo Oh well, 20 or 30 is better than the full $60 or $70
    Weird question...I love my glasses, but will need new lenses since these are not strong enough. Is it cheaper to get just lenses than it is to get a whole new pair of glasses? Do places even offer that service?

You can get just the lenses replaced. The placed I worked at had a machine that would trace the frame and then send that trace off to make the lenses for you.

Just make sure to ask if they have that. I know that most places will order just lenses for you but they require to keep the glasses to send off to the lab. You can always try finding a place that makes them inhouse. Some places will make lenses/glasses in an hour.
  10. Lime breakfast foot
    Lime breakfast foot

You can get just the lenses replaced. The placed I worked at had a machine that would trace the frame and then send that trace off to make the lenses for you.

Just make sure to ask if they have that. I know that most places will order just lenses for you but they require to keep the glasses to send off to the lab. You can always try finding a place that makes them inhouse. Some places will make lenses/glasses in an hour.
    I will find one of the one hour places when I replace them. I can only be practically legally blind for so long before I walk into something.

It looks like LensCrafters still offers the same style of glasses I currently have! So, I could definitely get new lenses from them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast