Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dumb BAH question

1. Senior Member

Dumb BAH question

Advertisements
    Okay so were PCS to Hunter AAF and the BAH there in 1185, but we found the perfect house off post but its in Bluffton SC and the BAH is 1098. Will it be 1098 cause where we will be living or 1185 by duty station?? I read on the BAH website its by duty station but I just want to double check.

2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

20. Why do you base BAH on my duty location? Why not use my residence location?

The policy decision to use duty location as a basis for BAH is based on the desire to compensate members for the typical housing cost near the member's duty location. Once the duty station is known, the BAH compensation is fixed, regardless of where the member lives. Were the member's residence location to be used as a basis for the allowance, there is the concern that this would cause a member to choose the residence location based on BAH. In some cases, this may lead to a member choosing to live further from the duty station, simply to receive higher BAH. In other cases, when a member commutes from/to a lower cost area, the members would find the BAH to be lower, even though the commuting expenses are higher. The Services decided to base the allowance on the duty location with the full knowledge that members would still be free to live where they choose, but that this decision would not affect the BAH amount.

Geographically separated families (geographic bachelors) are normally eligible for BAH based on the member's duty station. Each Service budgets for support of a certain number of members and families at each location. If a growing number of people decide to leave their families in Washington, or Tampa while the member PCSs to Mt Home or Ft. Hood that could skew the budget and service support planning for these locations. Also, a fundamental philosophy of military service is that members, with their families, create a better work environment and esprit de corps when they can be active participants in the local base and community. In certain circumstances, with specific approval of the Secretary of the Service concerned, a member may be granted an exception to receive BAH based on the dependent's location. For example if a member has a sick child that requires medical attention only available in a certain location (say Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC), and the member receives a PCS order, the member might leave the family in Washington and request BAH eligibility for that location. Such exceptions do not ordinarily apply to spousal employment or other personal choices.
    Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) - Frequently Asked Questions

3. Senior Member
    He will get paid the BAH for the place he is stationed. That is the only thing that matters, The city where you choose to live is not relevant, nor is the amount you pay. (Overseas Housing pay is different, but that is how it works for CONUS.) So if the rate for his rank at that base is $2000, you would get $2000, even if you lived 3 cities over and stayed in your parents' basement for free. So if he's stationed at Hunter, you will get Hunter BAH.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gorjes View Post
    Okay so were PCS to Hunter AAF and the BAH there in 1185, but we found the perfect house off post but its in Bluffton SC and the BAH is 1098. Will it be 1098 cause where we will be living or 1185 by duty station?? I read on the BAH website its by duty station but I just want to double check.
    It will be for the duty station.
  5. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    It will be for the duty station but I will caution you about Bluffton. It is a nice place but the traffic is REALLY bad. Unless you guys are way out on the I-95 end he is going to have a REALLY long commute to work. The area is growing like crazy & the infrastructure just hasn't kept up.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    it is for the duty location-

DH was stationed in FL and we lived in GA- the BAH was 350 dollars more for FL than for GA !
  7. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Quote Originally Posted by princessgwynn View Post
    It will be for the duty station but I will caution you about Bluffton. It is a nice place but the traffic is REALLY bad. Unless you guys are way out on the I-95 end he is going to have a REALLY long commute to work. The area is growing like crazy & the infrastructure just hasn't kept up.
    I thought Pooler was a long commute but it was mostly highway. I can't imagine bluffton