Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geographical bachelor benefits?

1. CTN

Geographical bachelor benefits?

Advertisements
    Hey everyone!

My DF and I have been going back and forth lately about getting married sooner, and we're unsure of a few things. I am half way done with getting my bachelors and cannot leave (my scholarships will only pay to THIS particular school).

He is throwing around the word "geographical bachelor", where we would get married and live apart until I'm done, him still staying in the barracks as opposed to base housing, off base, etc.

What we can't figure out is this: would he get any benefits or extra pay because we're married?

We've heard yes, we've heard no (because we willingly live apart and are not ordered to do so), we've even heard the Army no longer recognizes geographical bachelors.

Anyone been in a similar boat?
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    I've heard that Geo Baching is no longer approved or recognized.
    If he is married he may be required to live off base since he is entitled to BAH. If he is married and you are not there he can't live in housing. Depening on rank he could be allowed to stay in the barracks, but that is up to his command. If he stays in the barracks he could get a reduced BAH.
    Since you are living separate by your choice, you won't get separation pay. The only extra thing he'll get is BAH for being married.
    Whether he lives in barracks or off base could be left up to his command. But I'm not 100% sure on that.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Geo-bach status is becoming hard to get and has been eliminated by many bases/commands in so much as allowing barracks space for a geo-bach...which can mean having to support TWO households off the same income.
    We were fortunate enough to be able to geo-bach through DH's last tour leading up to his retirement. He was given an exception and allowed a spot in the SNCO barracks - but the last three months of that we were on borrowed time as they were in the process of forcing all of the geo's out of the units.
    Our BAH was not reduced, but it is becoming quite common for those bases/commands that do allow geo-baching to charge a daily or weekly feel for the room. It's still less than what you would pay for an apartment, but is a fee none-the-less.
    I would suggest contacting the specific location that would be involved to find out what their current policy is on geo-bachelors as you may discover it is not even an option for you. Also, keep in mind that if the space becomes needed, geo's will be forced out to allow for those in need of the space to get in.
  4. Senior Member
    Depends on the command is what I've heard. You will receive medical benefits and base privledges. He would also get BAH at the dependent rate. He could get a cheap apartment there and pay utilities and then whatever is left can go to you. Sometimes if there's room in the dorms they'll let him live there or depending on his rank sometimes the AF lets people be dorm managers. He just won't know until he talks to his specific command. Good luck with everything.
  5. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    I don't see a problem with yall just BEING married.. and him explaining to his command that you are in school elsewhere, and won't be joining him till you're finished. You'd get all the benefits, he'd get all the pay.. and maybe since you're just in school somewhere else they'd allow him to live in the barracks until you could relocate. Worst case scenario.. they give him an on base house for his paygrade...
  6. Banned
    Banned
    GEO BACH is a term used to describe families seperated by choice- we are a geo family-

there are no benefits- for the barracks one of the following will occur
    1) he will not be allowed in the barracks at all
    2) he will be allowed to live in the barracks for a fee per night
    3) he will be allowed in the barracks but will forfiet all BAH
    4)he will be allowed in the barracks based on space- meaning he would always run the risk that if a single member needed to room your then DH would be forced out.

as for money- there is none- no sep pay no additiional BAH no nothing-
  7. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    I don't see a problem with yall just BEING married.. and him explaining to his command that you are in school elsewhere, and won't be joining him till you're finished. You'd get all the benefits, he'd get all the pay.. and maybe since you're just in school somewhere else they'd allow him to live in the barracks until you could relocate. Worst case scenario.. they give him an on base house for his paygrade...
    military doesn't really care if a spouse is in school. In most cases, a person can't live in base housing if the spouse isn't there, even living in the dorms isn't guaranteed. The feel if your married, there is no reason for a spouse to stay behind, and if they choose, its their own doing and the military doesn't have to accommodate. Commander's often won't slide because if they do it for one, they'll have to do it for all.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    GEO BACH is a term used to describe families seperated by choice- we are a geo family-

there are no benefits- for the barracks one of the following will occur
    1) he will not be allowed in the barracks at all
    2) he will be allowed to live in the barracks for a fee per night
    3) he will be allowed in the barracks but will forfiet all BAH
    4)he will be allowed in the barracks based on space- meaning he would always run the risk that if a single member needed to room your then DH would be forced out.

as for money- there is none- no sep pay no additiional BAH no nothing-
    I was wondering when you'd jump in... I knew you'd have the right info.
  9. <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    military doesn't really care if a spouse is in school. In most cases, a person can't live in base housing if the spouse isn't there, even living in the dorms isn't guaranteed. The feel if your married, there is no reason for a spouse to stay behind, and if they choose, its their own doing and the military doesn't have to accommodate. Commander's often won't slide because if they do it for one, they'll have to do it for all.
    Wow. That's weird. When we talked to my DB's command about us possibly getting married, but me finishing my degree here in Florida, he said it would be no problem. Of course, DB was about to deploy, and he was also in schooling. Maybe that's the difference.

But if your SO lived off base, they wouldn't really have to know you weren't with him..
  10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiley. View Post
    Wow. That's weird. When we talked to my DB's command about us possibly getting married, but me finishing my degree here in Florida, he said it would be no problem. Of course, DB was about to deploy, and he was also in schooling. Maybe that's the difference.

But if your SO lived off base, they wouldn't really have to know you weren't with him..
    Yeah, must've been because of deployment, he wasn't going to be on base anyway and that's something different than geo baching.

And yes, if he lived off base, they wouldn't know, nor care if she wasn't there, but then that's added cost, etc. But that is also different. Many who want to geo bach want to save money by allowing the member to stay in the dorms/barracks. But geo baching is going away, and in many places doesn't exist.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast